Would Arteta have made the same signings?

by   |   09/09/2020  18 Comments  [Jump to last]

For those who don't bother to read my oft regarded 'negative' posts, I have to say, right away, that I would much have preferred our Club's leaders to have gone for young Arteta rather than 'Grandad Carlo'.

I had wrongly believed from the mouth of Mr Brands that I had heard the days of the short-term fix were no more. But then, again, I might just have misread a ToffeeWeb throwaway remark. So Ancelotti it was and for the first time since their appointment of Arsene Wenger, Arsenal could be seen as really building for the future rather than that damned 'quick fix' which has brought failure so many times at so many — clubs including ours .

But I have to admit that things have changed , with the last seven days bringing us no less than three top rate signings (The Esk told us the Club was skint, didn't he ?) with the thick end of £100m spent on fees and wages.

And they have changed principally because of that 'wrong' appointment of Ancelotti . Because never in a month of Sundays would Arteta have had the charisma to have attracted players of the ilk of Rodriguez & Co.(Neither, I suggest would Wenger have been given the money even if he'd asked for it.)

And who amongst his Arsenal signings and targets like Willian and Gabriel would Mikel have attracted to Everton? Very few, I think , and it would have been more of ' Brands' Bandits' rather than' Carlo's Commendables.'

Of course, we have yet to see how brightly these stars shine although I have a sneaky feeling (is that an advance on hope ? ) that this time Moshiri may just have struck lucky. My God, we've waited long enough!

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Patrick McFarlane
1 Posted 09/09/2020 at 19:50:13
Derek my apologies if I've misread your piece but isn't Arteta the 'best little Spaniard' we knew?
Barry Rathbone
2 Posted 09/09/2020 at 19:59:08
Arteta has it all to prove as a manager despite the cup win I just don't see him being the next big thing.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

3 Posted 09/09/2020 at 19:59:39
Like you Patrick, on first reading I thought Derek had incorrectly labelled Arteta French.

Reading it again, I'm guessing when Derek added in brackets after saying Arteta wouldn't have had the charisma to attract the players we have, 'Neither, I suggest would the Frenchman have been given the money even if he'd asked for it,' I think he is referring back to Arsene Wenger.

The sentence structure and reference order of the two Arsenal managers does make it confusing, I agree.

David Pearl
4 Posted 09/09/2020 at 20:00:10
Quick EDIT Derek ;)
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

5 Posted 09/09/2020 at 20:04:41
On another note, with new signing videos having become 'a thing' in recent years, I enjoyed the James Rodriguez video reveal, but the benchmark has been set by this cracker:

Ricardo Quaresma Signs For Vitoria de Guimaraes

Click on the Twitter feed in the article and expand it to full screen to appreciate it in its full glory.

The article explains in detail the references of all the whacky scenes in the video.

It made me laugh. A lot.

Daniel A Johnson
6 Posted 09/09/2020 at 20:06:58
Moshiri made his choice and we can all say what if from every angle possible. But lets all just enjoy the ride hey?

Life can be a leap of faith, this club and its fans is due some luck and some good times.

I'm keeping positive, luck and fortune may shine on us Toffees in 20/21.

COYBs!!

David Pearl
7 Posted 09/09/2020 at 20:14:03
There is no doubt that the lure of Europe and London probably turned Gabriels head. I think if these 3 new midfielders work out its not going to just be a quick fix... they will be around for a few years while the younger ones mature a bit. There's still time for those values to increase. We needed Ancelotti to tell Brands we have had enough of the unknown and need some experienced leaders in the squad. Allan and Dacoure are at their peak... and fingers crossed with James.

I'm just hoping when we do move on a few players we shift the right ones. Lets face it, if we do play narrow so to keep James in the game in a 433 or a diamond and then change it with a sub... who comes on? In what pecking order are Gordon, Bernard, Iwobi, Walcott, maybe Bolasie? Non are consistent but all are capable in the right moment.

Then we have to hope we have enough to start converting chances. Onwards and upwards, we've made strides this window. Better that any of us could imagine. That's down to one man. Carlo. If we got Arteta I'm sure Brands would have had more a say (and we deffo wouldn't have signed 2 of them).

Danny Baily
8 Posted 09/09/2020 at 20:18:09
As a poster on another thread put it, even when we were signing diamonds in the rough and then selling them on at great profit, it wasn't helping us on the pitch (although it was undeniably preferable to signing has-beens on inflated wages as we've done since Moshiri arrived).

Realistically, that's what we'd aspire to do again if Arteta was in charge: buy low and sell high. Carlo's trump card is his pulling power and extensive contact list. It's a gamble but, of the two approaches, it gives us the best chance of success on the pitch.

Derek Taylor
9 Posted 09/09/2020 at 20:34:26
Sorry, lads. I'd had a hard night before I wrote that piece and at my age should really know better than to take to the keyboard when I'm 'gipsies' !

Thanks, Pat, for reminding me that Arteta was our 'Best little Spaniard' and also Jay, although in that mixed up reference it was again Arteta I was referring to as I don't think he would have got the money from Mosh that Carlo has received.

Sorry, and will try harder next term !

Ajay Gopal
10 Posted 10/09/2020 at 08:29:10
Derek, 'Grandad Carlo' is the 3rd oldest manager in the PL this year at 61 yrs. Only Hodgson (73) and Bielsa (65) are older than him, although Bruce (59) and Mourinho and Moyes (57) are not too far away. I really don't believe that age is that important for a Manager. Yes, the game is changing rapidly, but in the case of Carlo, I think he has a young and savvy deputy in David - his son, and of course, Dunc who knows the PL like the back of his hand. I believe we have a very good management team with the right combination of experience and youth. Combined with that, a potentially very talented group of players, and we have the platform to build something exciting. Now, how things turn out, depends on many, many other factors including plain old Lady Luck. So, let us keep our fingers crossed and pray.
Danny Broderick
11 Posted 10/09/2020 at 08:45:40
I’m not sure Arteta would have gone for the same signings. It’s early days, but I think he is more from the Martinez/Guardiola/Silva school - his midfielders are all about pass, pass, pass. I suspect he would have signed a defensive centre mid who just sits in there, and a technical midfielder. In Doucoure and Allan, we have got 2 high energy players who do the lot.

Watching us the last 3/4 years, we have been crying out for energy in midfield. I’m very happy with the signings we have made. I’m really looking forward to seeing where Rodriguez fits in - right side of the front 3 for me...

Derek Taylor
12 Posted 10/09/2020 at 10:34:29
With you all the way, Ajay, and as I prepare to retire from gossip media ( moving home and failing eyesight) I wish you and Everton the sort of success they have managed to avoid in most of the 74 seasons I have been part of the greatest football family in the world.

I came late to this type of media but it has done wonders for my brain ( and education ) and I shall still take a crafty peep on my phone ( if they don't take it off me ! ) to see how you old lags are behaving.

Massive thanks to Lyndon and Michael for keeping us in order, love you all and Good Luck !

COYB

Will Mabon
13 Posted 10/09/2020 at 11:01:28
Derek - don't go!
Ryan Holroyd
14 Posted 12/09/2020 at 11:55:49
Arteta didn't want the Everton Job - he sees himself as an Arsenal man for whatever reason.

Next - would Klopp have made the same signings?

Jamie Crowley
15 Posted 12/09/2020 at 15:01:20
Derek I just read your #12.

Going home, failing eyesight, excuses man!

If you leave TW, I will hunt you down. Grab some glasses, take control and don't allow them to decide if you can have your phone or not, and keep swimming forward.

Looking forward to many, many more "negative" DT posts.

16 Posted 14/09/2020 at 14:20:14
Derek (12), I wish you well for the future and hope you can pop in on ToffeeWeb now and again,hopefully with a post, f not to read all the comments which keep you amused and make the days a bit brighter for you, most of all to learn how happy we are with the way Everton are performing, yesterday was a good start.

Very best wishes Derek to you and your family.

17 Posted 15/09/2020 at 22:35:43
If Derek's leaving, I'm leaving.
18 Posted 15/09/2020 at 22:56:13
Derek, can you post by using speech recognition software? Dragon is one program that I used to use; and there's voice recognition on on an iPhone.

And I guess there's something available for you to convert the written word on ToffeeWeb to the spoken word?