Matthew Williams
1 Posted 15/06/2021 at 14:06:22
Great start to Day 5 with the pic of Ericksen looking well.

I'm hoping for 2 decent games today... with plenty of goals too.

Kieran Kinsella
2 Posted 15/06/2021 at 14:10:00
Have to support France today after all the Norman's civilized us.
Matthew Williams
3 Posted 15/06/2021 at 14:28:55
I come from Celtic stock Keiran,so the above doesn't apply to me!...but the Krauts did bomb our chippies so a French win would be fine for me also...as long as there's plenty of goals,shooting from range and both teams being brave and going for it,I'll be happy.

Looking forward to seeing Hungary too,still have a soft spot for them since Spain in '82.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

4 Posted 15/06/2021 at 15:53:03
Looks like Jordan Pickford's starting berth just got further cemented. United's Dean Henderson withdrawn from the tournament with a hip injury and Sheffield United's Aaron Ramsdale called up as his replacement.

The uncapped Ramsdale of course has been relegated from the PL with his last two clubs, Bournemouth and the Blades. The 3rd keeper is from another relegated club, Sam Johnstone from WBA. Jordan in a league of his own by comparison.

Never got the enthusiasm some expressed on here for Ramsdale.

Kieran Kinsella
5 Posted 15/06/2021 at 16:26:46
Bit confusing looking at that Hungarian line up. Three men called Sally playing.
6 Posted 15/06/2021 at 17:07:26
Cmon Mighty Magyars! Suck it Pepe
Bill Griffiths
7 Posted 15/06/2021 at 17:12:10
Thought crowd numbers were supposed to be limited?
Andrew Ellams
8 Posted 15/06/2021 at 17:13:52
Watching this game has just reminded me that we haven't been linked with William Carvalho for a while.
Kieran Kinsella
9 Posted 15/06/2021 at 17:18:03
Bill

Each country sets its own rules. The Hungarian president broke with the EU and started buying any vaccines he could get his hands on months ago. Hungary is now one of the most vaccinated countries in Europe (albeit some got the 51 percent effective Chinese one). He wants to show that it's business as usual in his fiefdom hence the full house

10 Posted 15/06/2021 at 17:21:19
Andrew, that's because Steve Ferns hasn't posted about William Carvalho for a while.
Bill Griffiths
11 Posted 15/06/2021 at 17:28:16
Thanks for that Kieran. For some reason I was thinking it was UEFA who set the limit.
Andrew Ellams
12 Posted 15/06/2021 at 17:32:47
Mike, it's a name that seems to come up at every tournament
Kieran Kinsella
13 Posted 15/06/2021 at 17:36:41
Bill

UEFA just set a requirement that countries admit a certain amount of fans as a minimum. Ireland weren't comfortable with covid doing that so they pulled out but there's not a cap.

Jay Harris
14 Posted 15/06/2021 at 17:49:56
Just as an aside any ToffeeWebbers planning to go to Orlando for the friendlies?
Matthew Williams
15 Posted 15/06/2021 at 17:51:33
Magnificent crowd for this game...but yet to spark into life on the pitch,so far.
Tom Harvey
16 Posted 15/06/2021 at 17:56:30
Commentator said you need proof of covid vaccinations to get into this match, these would have been available along with tickets the touts were selling outside.

I wonder what 90,000 crammed into that stadium has done for infection rates?

17 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:06:00
Missed the first half. How has this one been?

My head is with France tonight, mein Hertz mit Deutschland.

Michael Kenrick
18 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:14:31
Don't think I've seen a single mask in the crowd.

Just makes you wonder why our fabulous world-beating vaccination programme has not allowed this to happen in the UK? We need vaccination passports. Boris the Bungler has got this so wrong.
19 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:21:31
Where's this being played Michael?

See what you mean. And pretty much full capacity stadium too by the looks.

Joe McMahon
20 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:26:27
Danny, Budapest, they said on 5 Live when I was driving home... and the only stadium that can have full capacity.
Andrew Ellams
21 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:31:42
Hungary is not exactly an upstanding an honest nation, at least the Government anyway.

Their vaccination programme has involved mass procurement from countries like China and Russia of vaccinations that wouldn't pass any sort of acceptance test in civilised nations so 60,000 maskless and inadequately vaccinated people mixing together is not a good thing.

22 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:36:41
Didn't know that Joe, thanks for the info.

Not a lot to talk about in this one. I was caught in 3 minds on Sallai. Looks a decent player but that recent incident on the left when Pepe eventually fouled him:

1. Great feet and skill to skip past a couple of players as he was being crowded out.

2. He looked up and had nowhere to go, so turned back into trouble.

3. He realised he's beaten 3 players, so turned back to try and do it again. Hungarian Peter Beagrie.

I'll go for a blend of 1 & 2.

Thomas Richards
23 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:38:58
Andrew.

"Their vaccination programme has involved mass procurement from countries like China and Russia of vaccinations that wouldn't pass any sort of acceptance test in civilised nations"

You sure about that?

24 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:41:09
Jammy shits
Andrew Ellams
25 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:41:29
Go on, boring Thomas, enlighten me.
Michael Kenrick
26 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:42:08
Okay, one man with a black mask, in a crowd of thousands.
27 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:42:23
Pure luck. Deflected pass, deflected shot.
28 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:44:38
Now that is how to take a penalty.
Kieran Kinsella
29 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:44:57
Michael

Is it Batman?

30 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:47:16
Yes, that's a cool penalty.
31 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:53:22

Oh and god given talent helps too.

It is possible / probable that the top 3 go through from this one right?

Michael Kenrick
32 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:54:42
175 games for Portugal. That's a heck of a lot.
Matthew Williams
33 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:57:11
Class player but an arrogant prick.

Still prefer Messi!.

Neil Copeland
34 Posted 15/06/2021 at 18:58:28
Danny #31, probably yes as it would be expected for France and Germany to beat Hungary also and draw when playing each other and Portugal.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

35 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:02:49
Game and spirited by Hungary, but all the class and football came from Portugal.

Flukey opener, definate penalty clinically scored, superb 3rd goal. Weakest link for Portugal today appeared to be Jota who was in good positions to play in CR7 but failed to do so every time.

CR7 set to break a few more scoring records yet. Phenomenal athlete.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

36 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:02:49

CR7 set to break a few more scoring records yet. Phenomenal athlete.

Barry Rathbone
37 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:03:14
Ronaldo - legs gone and avoids contact like the plague but his footballing brain still ticks like a precision time piece. Very few have the touch and mental coolness to go round the keeper in the 6 yard box - stunning.

Ronaldo and Messi the last of the Mohicans no one coming through to take their place, such a shame

38 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:05:41
So Matthew, everyone's got a threshold as to true world class and I have mine. I don't know why, but when people talk of Pele, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Mardonna and yes, Messi, I personally wouldn't hold Ronaldo in that category.

My word that's harsh as he is fantastic. Guillit too.

Exactly Barry, football is in the brain as much as in the legs.

Thoughts?

Neil Copeland
39 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:09:02
Although I never saw them play, I would add Puskas and Eusebio to that list Danny (based on what my dad told me and saw them play at Goodison in 66 although Puskas was fading then).
Anthony A Hughes
40 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:13:39
Cristiano one of the all-time greats for me Danny, scored bags of goals in four different leagues and never failed anywhere. No doubting Messi either but there's always that thing how would he have done in another league.
41 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:15:48
I said it was harsh Anthony! Yes, he is definitely one of the all time greats, without doubt.

Neil, my dad would have agreed with yours on Eusebio.

Andrew Ellams
42 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:16:40
It's tough to hold modern players up against players from previous eras due to the lack of physical contact in the game today.

Would Messi, Ronaldo etc. have handled the punishment handed out to Pele, Best or Maradona? Could they have dribbled like Matthews with on old leather ball and heavy, muddy boots?

43 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:19:24
I can't comment on that Andrew!!

Although if you watch footage and recall how Maradona was hacked and kicked.

Likewise George Best.

Or at least players tried to hack and kick them. Often they were hacking and kicking their shadow!

Barry Hesketh
44 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:20:38
If we had the good fortune to see either Messi or Ronaldo play for Everton at their peak, and we could only have one, I think I'd plump for Messi, but Ronaldo is a very special player too.
Brian Murray
45 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:20:56
Jinky Johnston anyone ! Elvis would of been jealous of that swivel of the hips. I'd say easily in a par with George best. As for the word great I'd say our Bally but I'm biased. For all round game it has to be pele surely.
Colin Glassar
46 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:22:44
Duncan Mckenzie is the greatest footballer of all time!!
Neil Copeland
47 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:23:01
Andrew #42, I think they are good points but it's all relative, would Pele, Best and Matthews been fit enough for the modern game? Very difficult to compare across generations, better I think to accept they were world class at that particular time both in the past and present.
48 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:25:34
Colin, around 1977 (I think), that's what my Dad had me believing! His true love was Alan Ball though.

Have you seen those 2 line ups?

A classic on the cards or the proverbial game of football chess and a stand off?

49 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:30:09
Michael (18), ‘ Boris the bungler has got this so wrong' Michael I don't to make this thread extra long, but when did Johnson get anything right.
Will Mabon
50 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:30:40
"36 years old. Shows you can stay at the highest level if you a fortunate with injury and look after yourself.

Oh and god given talent helps too."

...and anatomically favourable genes.

Colin Glassar
51 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:31:18
It's a generational thing, Danny. Apart from Messi and Ronaldo no present day footballers come close to my heroes like Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Ball, Best, Pele etc…and of course, 🎶We all agree, Duncan Mckenzie is magic🎵
52 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:36:42
Neil (39), yes Ferenc Puskas deserves to be on the list of world class players, a fantastic footballer, he didn't play in the 1966 World Cup however, he's last games in that competition was in 1962 for Spain.
Matthew Williams
53 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:37:10
So many truly top players listed there folks,each one a true great...but the greatest?.

Before my time,but it has to be BEST...then again even Shankley thought it was THE man himself...

DIXIE.

Dennis Stevens
54 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:39:15
Aye, Matthew - or maybe Robin Friday!
Darren Hind
55 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:39:36
A lot of talent in this French side. wonder what that lot would cost in todays market
Will Mabon
56 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:48:19
I agree it makes a difference if the players were current in one's time, Colin, for the full context. So many greats from all eras. In contrast to his management (and other) abilities, Koeman was some player, in a less fashionable, less celebrated role.

Still Maradona, for me. For a short time, I thought we were seeing his eventual successor in Rooney.

Barry Hesketh
57 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:49:40
Can't give you an estimate Darren but I think Mosh would pay four times their actual value.
Matthew Williams
58 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:50:40
Duncan was a wonderful player,skill,control,touch and awareness,a player that always made the faithful smile.

We need to find another,to bring to the younger generation of Blues some much needed joy.

I loved Kingy too,even watching THAT Derby winner now makes me cry (am a sensitive soul,I even drink mild!).

59 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:51:44
2 good teams lining up here. Just think the French have the attacking edge.

Koeman; ignoring his Everton disaster, what a player. What a bullet of a shot.

James Flynn
60 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:54:03
Just saw Digne going down the steps.
Jeff Armstrong
61 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:59:08
How come the players don't point and go crazy when their faces come on the big screen?…..miserable sods!
Darren Hind
62 Posted 15/06/2021 at 19:59:45
Is right Danny

Whatever else you say about koeman. I don't think I have seen anybody strike a ball so sweetly. So often.

He's still a c**t though

Will Mabon
63 Posted 15/06/2021 at 20:00:43
McKenzie was a helluva an entertainer for sure. Mentally almost too far ahead of other players a lot of the time. Also jumped cars, threw golf balls the full length of football pitches; fantastic.
Jeff Armstrong
64 Posted 15/06/2021 at 20:04:24
Will, don't forget the Cloughie impressions a true all rounder, deffo.
Will Mabon
65 Posted 15/06/2021 at 20:07:28
Jeff - yes!
Jeff Armstrong
66 Posted 15/06/2021 at 20:13:06
I remember him doing 3 hours stand up at the Hippodrome, Tommy Cockles was livid!
Neil Copeland
67 Posted 15/06/2021 at 20:13:23
Dave #52, thanks for the correction, my dad must have been making it up! (hes long gone now so looks like he got away with one). I think Puskas was famous for the win against England, their first defeat at Wembley?
68 Posted 15/06/2021 at 20:21:21
Link

Towards the end, about 12 mins in (?), grainy shot of the golf ball throw, and that mini jump, in staggered photos.

Kieran Kinsella
69 Posted 15/06/2021 at 20:23:19
Hummels making a mark on his return
Chris Hockenhull
70 Posted 15/06/2021 at 20:24:13
Will ( 63) Golf balls… jumping over cars.. yes. The romantic image matures over the years. That's what I paid my admission for… those amazing skills. However… like a lot of things… he did that not at Everton (sadly). Some guys who do it consistently for the team..the Tommy Jackson's… John Hurst..Alan Harper..Leon Osman….et al.., forgotten heroes. McKenzie was / is one of the great wasters of a shirt. Occasionally did it when arsed… disappeared when disinterested…no big club was ever interested in him… legend in his own mind. Good old Everton Romantisism… been going on for centuries. Hate to say it the RS.. Utd saw past this chancer in those days and that says volumes why we are always the bridesmaids etc. But I understand your view but James is the latest one. Ah as Dylan said ”And it's a dirty rotten shame”
Jeff Armstrong
71 Posted 15/06/2021 at 20:27:13
Kieran, if Hummels leaves it, Mbape probably scores anyway, difficult for him either way.
Not sure which way I want this one to go, probably favour France who have bit more flair.
72 Posted 15/06/2021 at 20:34:53
Wasn't it Hummels whose goal beat France at the WC?

Life's little ironies.

Will Mabon
73 Posted 15/06/2021 at 20:39:57
Brent, great find! Have a look at vid from just before the minute mark. Does it (Almost) remind you of anything?

Chris, if you'll notice, I called McKenzie a great entertainer, not a great player or contributor. Considered overall, his tenure didn't work out that way. Doesn't take away from some goals and fantastic skills though - and I still maintain he was mentally too far ahead of most others. Rare player.

Barry Rathbone
74 Posted 15/06/2021 at 20:40:37
Neil Copeland 67

Maybe your dad was talking about Puskas at Goodison with Panathanikos he was manager when they knocked us out of the european cup in '71.

Remember his team bus getting pelters upon leaving GP after the previous home game when he was reconnoitering pre the first leg. He was at the front of the bus like a fat hob-goblin aghast at the abuse

75 Posted 15/06/2021 at 20:42:27
Will, are you thinking Rooney?
Neil Copeland
76 Posted 15/06/2021 at 20:45:17
Barry #74, cheers I didn't know he managed them and yes he may have got it mixed up because he went to that game also.
Barry Rathbone
77 Posted 15/06/2021 at 20:48:39
Neil 76

Pleasure, mate

Will Mabon
78 Posted 15/06/2021 at 20:59:16
Brent, yes! There's another example, from a lower league team, 1 or 2, from several years back, that I can't recall right now, but the goal was scored. It was identical to Rooney's.
Robert Tressell
79 Posted 15/06/2021 at 21:20:58
Nice to see some crosses going in from Kimmich. Weirdly out of fashion despite being so hard to deal with. A real aversion in other games to getting the ball and bodies into the box.
80 Posted 15/06/2021 at 21:23:16
BRILLIANt disallowed Mbappe goal
Darren Hind
81 Posted 15/06/2021 at 21:37:57
looking forward to the next Wales game. I remember two hilarious posts last time they went deep into a tournament It was as if they were there watching the game.

Come on the Taffs

Barry Rathbone
82 Posted 15/06/2021 at 21:44:30
Cue german equaliser
83 Posted 15/06/2021 at 21:46:05
Griezmann is pure class. An elite attacking player, running all over the pitch winning strong tackles. And on Mbappe's disallowed goal it was Griezmann who released Pogba with that lovely little chip.

Don't know why he hasn't succeeded at Barca, but he'll make a great replacement for Cristiano at Juventus. Same level of commitment.

Phil (Kelsall) Roberts
84 Posted 15/06/2021 at 21:55:28
Who was the team mate of Duncan who said - Too 'ffin right he is magic. Get's on the pitch and disappears.

Anybody remember?

Matthew Williams
85 Posted 15/06/2021 at 21:58:39
I hope we can do a lot better than sign that Rabiot bloke!.

Average at best.

Thomas Richards
86 Posted 15/06/2021 at 22:01:04
Good start from France, played within themselves. Plenty more to come.
Backed them at 6/4.
Happy days.
Darren Hind
87 Posted 15/06/2021 at 22:05:45
The SE of the current was on talk shite today...He tipped the French to go on and win it.

Evens for tonight was a bit stingy though

Thomas Richards
88 Posted 15/06/2021 at 22:09:26
He gave me the tip.

EVENS??

Your not still using a bookies runner are you?

89 Posted 15/06/2021 at 22:10:51
Joachim just seems a bit Löw to me.

Matthew #85, I've been saying that for a year now, since I watch him at Juventus. Actually, I thought today was one of his best defensive performances.

Barry Hesketh
90 Posted 15/06/2021 at 22:16:15
Phil @84
I don't remember who may have said it, but I reckon that Mike Pejic or Dave Jones would be my educated guess, if it was said by an Everton player. It was probably someone at Leeds like Norman Hunter who actually said it.
91 Posted 15/06/2021 at 22:28:59
Neil (67), yes, give your dad a walkover over Puskas, he really was something special, he became known with that fabulous performance at Wembley along with quite a few Hungarian players in that 6-3 win, including that drag back with his foot near the corner flag, left Billy Wright, I think, on his arse. He did even better a few months later in Budapest when Hungary beat England 7-1,left his country after Russia invaded Hungary and joined Real Madrid playing alongside my favourite player Alfredo di Stefano in many European Cup games, a player to admire indeed.
Neil Copeland
92 Posted 15/06/2021 at 22:48:25
Dave #91, cheers for the information. Dad may have been pulling my leg, he had my brother believing that Everton wanted to sign him when he was playing for Dunlop's (NW Counties I think) when in actual fact it was New Brighton! It was only when we were reminiscing at his funeral a couple of years ago that my brother learnt the truth off me. The funny part is that he had been telling anyone that would listen that Dad was wanted by Everton!
93 Posted 15/06/2021 at 22:48:43
Koeman could hit them like a perfectly aimed shot down the range Darren @62. I cannot dispute your closing comment on the same post!

Well, intriguing game from my perspective. France let Germany have lots of possession. In the first half, I thought Germany's shape was too narrow, whilst France tried to exploit the flanks due to the 3 at the back. Always a risk with 3 at the back; you leave your flanks open if the midfield doesn't protect. Personally that's why I think if you're going to do it, go 3-5-2, not 3-4-3. But I'm just Danny, not Joachim Low.

Germany seemed to still have a lot of possession second half but tried to play with more width, although could still not crack that incredible French back line. We talk about the Italians but how good is that French defence? How do you score against a brick wall?

I don't swear a lot on here or in conversation, but how fucking quick is Mbappe? Rapid, but a good footballer to go with it. We often don't get that balance and often just have quick players who are not necessarily good ones.

Final point on Neuer. Has to be the best keeper in the world right now. Calm and commanding. Always looking to play the ball out to the best placed defender of deep sitting midfielder before considering smashing it up the pitch, which he can and will do when he needs or wants to.

France look strong and difficult to beat as well as rapid on the attack when they need to be. I'm sure they'll play different against other teams, this was tactical. Germany as I suspected are a transitional team, but I wouldn't discount them. Let's see what they're like against someone else first.

France still my favourites for this one, but watch out for Italy.

I enjoyed that one.

94 Posted 15/06/2021 at 23:13:42
Danny #93, I've seen three surveys in the past three years that that ranked Mbappe as the fastest footballer in the world. The most recent one I saw ranked him #4 behind Davies of Bayern, Hakimi of Inter, and young Haaland... with guys like Traore, Aubameyang, Salah and Mane also on the list.

As recently as last year, Everton had a player listed in the top 10. Want to guess who it was? Hint: he was proof that pace doesn't necessarily make a good footballer.

PS... Belgium for me.

Will Mabon
95 Posted 16/06/2021 at 03:48:57
Mike - Walcott.
Kieran Kinsella
96 Posted 16/06/2021 at 04:11:19
Mike

Not Davies of Everton? I'm shocked

Ps Portugal for me

97 Posted 16/06/2021 at 04:44:47
Correct, Will. 7th fastest in the world in 2019.

Pretty impressive for a guy past 30.