Brian Harrison
1 Posted 02/04/2021 at 10:52:27
Just read about Haarland and his agent and his father flying into Barcelona and had talks with both Barcelona and Real Madrid. Now considering both these clubs are massively in debt Barcelona are 1,173 billion Euros in debt and Real are 901,000 Euros in debt, how can either possibly afford to purchase any players. Let alone where FFP comes into the equation, or does FFP not come into play for these clubs. Amazing how UEFA tried to bring City to book over their alleged breaking of FFP rules.

They keep saying football is a business well I cant think of any other successful business who are prevented from pouring money into your company because your competitors don't like it. Now if FFP is to stop owners of football clubs spending money they havent got then transferring that debt back onto the club. Then make it a law that when an owner takes over a club he has to deposit a bond with the Premier league that states that if he leaves the club it will be in no worse financial position than when they took over.

2 Posted 02/04/2021 at 12:41:14
That's because the more you scratch the surface Brian, the more FFP is there to ringfence Europe's executive club. Barcelona & Real are members of the club. City were threatened with the naughty step because they are upstarts threatening the sanctimony of the club.

You are right on investment. A double-edged sword as many of us do get frustrated with how money dominates the modern game like never before. But in some ways hasn't it always had a degree of that (Mersey Millionaires etc)? It's a reality of the sport and no other business vector I know of would prevent a company investing in itself if it had the opportunity to do so. Within reason I guess as there are regulations in place to make things fair but FFP doesn't feel fair. That's the limit of my business knowledge, so I won't dig myself into a hole!!

On the transfer front, my son told me yesterday and I read this morning that our young 16 year old left back Thierry Small could reject a professional contract to seek first team football elsewhere. Now, that may be disappointing, but I like the attitude if true. If he feels he realistically isn't going to dislodge Digne for the foreseeable, then go and earn your stripes elsewhere. Nice to see a player driven by footballing motives.

3 Posted 02/04/2021 at 12:41:31
When I read Ancellotti's article in the Athletic, he spoke a lot of sense on a load of different subjects, but because I think he holds back, or doesn't always tell us the whole picture, I was hoping he was biting his lip, when he spoke about a rich owner spending a lot of money, and how it might not necessarily be a bad thing at the moment.

A good lawyer will tear UEFA to threads with regards FFP if these clubs are still allowed to spend Brian, but maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself and dreaming Usmanov, might be ready to move forward with his plan?

4 Posted 02/04/2021 at 12:59:50
I agree Tony, depending on your view, City have challenged the elite and given us hope or have at least raised the question as to whether FFP is dead in its current form. I'm not against the high level concept in principal, but the existing one smacks of self-licking elitism.

I suppose it's about how clever we are in how we declare any income, should we benefit from investment from someone like Usmanov. I'm not entirely read up on how serious that is.

Caveat upon caveat; my financial wizardry extends only to being not too bad at looking after my Natwest savings account.

Guess I'll watch Cheltenham v Tranmere this afternoon. Never a big fan of Tranmere despite their Merseyside roots for some reason but I did work in Cheltenham and have a few friends there.

5 Posted 02/04/2021 at 13:26:51
I watched the second half when Tranmere played Sunderland at Wembley the other week Danny, and except for one bit of real quality, I actually thought Tranmere were the better team.

6 Posted 02/04/2021 at 15:44:41
3rd Cheltenham goal. Minute margins, but the defender just goes to ground a fraction t0o early. That allows the forward to open up a yard of space and get the shot in across goal.
7 Posted 02/04/2021 at 23:47:04
I wasn't sure where to put this but, if we're talking about a winger in the summer, has anyone seen the Sevilla player they currently have out on loan? Bryan Gil. Tricky, great feet, low centre of gravity. Cryuff-like almost.
8 Posted 03/04/2021 at 13:36:39
So, after 20 minutes of a rather dull affair I thought this would be a case of Chelsea persevering and eventually grinding down the resistance.

It got a lot more interesting! Chelsea seemed to forget there was added time and were already in the changing room.

Steve Brown
9 Posted 03/04/2021 at 13:54:22
3-1 to WBA. Ooof!
Tony Hill
10 Posted 03/04/2021 at 13:57:02
What a Luddite that gravy-slurping oaf Allardyce is. Such football has no place in the modern age.
Steve Brown
11 Posted 03/04/2021 at 13:59:28
Make that 4-1
12 Posted 03/04/2021 at 14:01:42
Looking like an unexpected good start to the weekend from our perspective.

West Brom have played very well in fairness.

Tony Everan
13 Posted 03/04/2021 at 14:02:03
Baggies playing great stuff on the break, Chelsea shell shocked, that 3rd goal was a goal of the month contender.
14 Posted 03/04/2021 at 14:03:11
Guess this means fat Sam is a better manager than Carlo. Chelsea have been down to ten men since the 30th minute,, while West broms first goal was just a big hoof from their goalie which caught the Chelsea defence out. Now 4-2.
Tony Everan
15 Posted 03/04/2021 at 14:20:48
Fourth place is back in our own hands now, if we win our remaining games it's ours. (As long as West Ham don't win all theirs and have a better goal difference.)

For now, I'll settle for beating Crystal Palace on Monday.

Trevor Peers
16 Posted 03/04/2021 at 14:25:29
Big Sam doing something we can only dream of... haha!!!
Tony Hill
17 Posted 03/04/2021 at 14:28:24
At least two of the WBA goals were fabulously constructed. Refreshing to see good football.
John Keating
18 Posted 03/04/2021 at 14:43:39
Great result!

Yet again, we look at the league and the possibilities with our games in hand. So far this season it's been a case of missed opportunities by ourselves!

Please no more excuses about injuries and tiredness. Every game a cup final!

19 Posted 03/04/2021 at 14:49:36
Take care of our own business John. Do that and we are more than in the game.
Colin Glassar
20 Posted 03/04/2021 at 14:52:51
Ah, those fleeting glimpses of hope within touch. This is why being an Everton fan can be so cruel.
Ajay Gopal
21 Posted 03/04/2021 at 15:39:43
I had remarked after we had squeaked out our win over WBA that they have a number of very interesting players that I hope are on Brands' summer list: Diagne is a real handful as a CF and would compliment DCL and Richarlison very well. The other player I like is their Brazilian - Pereira (scored 2 goals, I believe today). Very composed and accomplished player. He would strengthen the right side of our attacking play immensely. The 3rd player is their Goalkeeper - Sam Johnstone. He is destined to play for a top team.
22 Posted 03/04/2021 at 16:27:44
I think Sheffield United have just brought on a Rugby League player?
23 Posted 03/04/2021 at 17:13:22
Ajay, the two full backs look decent too, especially Townsend the left back, although we're probably more in need of a right back, Furlong looks like a good prospect.
Si Cooper
24 Posted 03/04/2021 at 18:46:10
Jeff, how many times have you watched Furlong? The three or four times I've watched him I've seen a lot more wrong than right. Regularly out manoeuvred and liable to go for tackles impetuously, he doesn't offer quality going forwards either. Only thing about him is he's reasonably quick.
Tony Hill
25 Posted 03/04/2021 at 18:55:12
If we hold our nerve, top 4 is absolutely within our grasp. It's the holding our nerve bit that has proved historically problematic, of course.

Such an opportunity as this may not present itself again for a long time, regardless of summer recruitment. Ancelotti must seize it.

26 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:02:28
Fair enough Si, I've watched them quite a few times, and Townsend has caught my eye on a number of occasions, Furlong not so much until today, but then they all had good game today, did you watch it?
I guess they're not in the bottom 3 for their defensive abilities either, but some of these relegation teams do have good prospects, Norwich for example with Buendia, Godfrey, Aaron's etc.
Pereira today was good too,some of these players are producing some far better football than what we are currently serving up tbh.
27 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:06:45
City two up, with the live stats I've just looked at suggesting Leicester can't lay a glove on them either. Every team bar City has had some very bad results, so let's just hope Everton can go and get a few good results in the next few games.
28 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:08:13
Is Kevin De Bruyne just the best player in the Premier League? Not particularly rapid, not physical but blessed with vision and speed of mind. What a ball through for the 2nd goal.

If we got depressed at the gap between us and City, then so must Leicester be.

We have to take care of our own matters on Monday, but results are going well so far. Arsenal win or a draw next up?

29 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:10:28
Yes, Danny. De Bruyne is just a sublime player. Not pace nor strength, as you say. But what vision and ability to execute the pass.
30 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:12:37
I'm thinking draw Danny, but an Arsenal win would not be sniffed at either, we just need to win our games to keep it interesting going into the final furlong.
Tony Hill
31 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:37:26
I think Odegaard is going to be better than De Bruyne. He's emerged from the absurd pressure put on him when he was a boy and promises the touch and passing awareness of a master.

Of course, it is by no means certain that he will stay in the Premier League.

32 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:39:20
Now Michah Richards has caught Trentitis.
Colin Glassar
33 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:45:16
Are we all gooners in 15 minutes?
34 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:47:45
Is Klopp on drugs? He's like a hyperactive raver in that interview.
35 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:49:04
Draw or Arsenal win, Colin. A draw is the best result for us, as we need to keep Arsenal at arms length, and will be a point behind the RS with two games in hand.
36 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:52:22
I don't know about that Jeff, but now you've dragged me into the Jurgen comment space, I think he's gone overboard on the the teeth whiteners. Definitely an over the top Ross from Friends approach for those who watched the US sitcom.
37 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:54:40
Fascinating, some empty suit at NBCSN just made obvious the similarities between Red Shite fan and Neanderthal World Wrestling types. They're actually giving some red knob two minutes to show the Klopp love that ebbs from his protruding forehead.

I am now really enthused and looking forward to the new line of testosterone and asthma products pushed by FSG and plugged by Klopp.

Ian Bennett
38 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:59:35
A draw? I want them to have nothing. Not even the steam off my piss.
Paul Birmingham
39 Posted 03/04/2021 at 20:02:09
Let's hope that Everton can beat Palace on Monday, as destiny is in Everton's control.

Gonna be a very tough match and anything can happen, as proven today at Chelsea.

A bonus if there's a draw or the RS, get beat at Arsenal, as always good when they lose, but I can't see that game being a draw, based on current form, of both of these teams.

40 Posted 03/04/2021 at 20:12:27
Ian, I wouldn't let them have the piss off my steam.
41 Posted 03/04/2021 at 20:13:10
Ian, I will be shamelessly using that line as often as I can
42 Posted 03/04/2021 at 20:21:37
And what's with the sea foam geolithic look? Cmon Arse get three here
43 Posted 03/04/2021 at 20:25:18
Dale, they're paying homage to our 3rd kit.
44 Posted 03/04/2021 at 20:33:41
Have to admit, it's odd seeing Liverpool play in blue. Even if it's a Man City or Coventry shade of blue.
45 Posted 03/04/2021 at 20:39:58
The bearded lady has morphed into a Freddie Mercury lookalike! 😁😁😁
46 Posted 03/04/2021 at 20:43:25
Crap game this.
Colin Glassar
47 Posted 03/04/2021 at 21:05:14
Your right, Rob. A draw is a good result for us but how bad are Arsenal? Absolute crap!!
48 Posted 03/04/2021 at 21:15:14
Martin Tyler is such a biased RS commentator, “if Liverpool win tonight they go top 5, only 2 points away from top 4 “ FFS, and if they lose or draw tonight Tyler?
Err. stay top 7. Fkin muppet.
Colin Glassar
50 Posted 03/04/2021 at 21:44:24
I think we dodged a bullet with that Gabriel. He's absolute rubbish like the rest of his teammates. I can't see Arteta surviving this season. His team look as clueless as he is.
51 Posted 03/04/2021 at 21:55:54
Win on Monday, Jeff, and we go level with a game in hand.
52 Posted 03/04/2021 at 22:10:51
I'd be confident Danny if we were playing some decent joined-up stuff, but we're not.

It just feels like we're 2 steps back all of the time... This season's top 4 is there for the taking, but we just seem to be stuttering along, missing each opportunity to get up there and get amongst the elite. It sometimes feels like Ancellotti is happy to finish top 6 rather than bust his balls for top 4.

Kieran Kinsella
53 Posted 03/04/2021 at 22:28:05
Colin,

Arteta got a lot of credit last year despite poor league form as they won the cup. People overlooked the fact he inherited a cup team. The much maligned Emery got them to the Europa League Final in his one season. Prior to that, they were FA Cup Winners and League Cup Finalists in Wenger's last 2 years, plus a few charity shields.

So all Arteta did was watch the team he inherited have another good cup run while they got progressively worse in the Premier League.

Stephen Brown
54 Posted 03/04/2021 at 22:31:23
Can't see Arteta coming back from this position! Players seemed to have downed tools too!

Hindsight is great but I think he would have struggled here more! At least Carlo has kudos with the players!

Mike Connolly
55 Posted 03/04/2021 at 22:31:55
We wont beat Palace even if destiny is in our control. A sight of Europe and the players shit themselves. We are Everton... be prepared for disappointment!
Brian Williams
56 Posted 03/04/2021 at 22:39:05
Just watched WBA wallop Chelsea.

We could do worse than make a move for Pereira from West Brom in the summer. He has something we're badly missing.

Tony Hill
57 Posted 03/04/2021 at 22:45:17
Win our games in hand and beat West Ham gives us 4th. We would also be close to Leicester. Let's be bold for once.
58 Posted 03/04/2021 at 23:03:48
I think at the start of the season top 6 and Europe was the target. Top 4 is frustratingly there for taking but I don't think we have the legs or enough quality

I'm ever the optimist but despite that and the impression I may give I am also actually a realist. Top 6 or 7 and Europa League and some entertaining trips abroad and I will consider this season a success.

I'd have preferred a draw tonight but does that start to cement us in at least top 8. Providing we take care of our own results, which is most important.

Si Cooper
59 Posted 03/04/2021 at 23:08:49
Jeff (26),

On today's game, I thought Furlong was typically average even when WBA turned it on, but I wasn't giving the game my full attention. What in particular did I miss?

As you said before, the left-back seemed a much more accomplished player. WBA weren't at the races until Thiago got his red but did put together a lot of fluent stuff after that with some excellent finishing thrown in. I wouldn't trust most of them to do that consistently for 90 minutes, week in week out though, and Chelsea really seemed to wilt.

60 Posted 03/04/2021 at 23:09:12
That's the spirit Mike! Come on, take a drink from the fountain of positivity!
Paul Birmingham
61 Posted 03/04/2021 at 23:09:55
Colin, spot on and let's hope next week Everton can be ruthless at Arsenal and turn them over. Arsenal's confidence looks shot.

A massive week for Everton, the opportunity is there starting with Palace, to turn them over.

Out of interest, does anyone know how James McCarthy's been doing, as I've not noted him playing too many games for them?

All have a Happy Easter.

Colin Glassar
62 Posted 03/04/2021 at 23:12:12
Danny, I've said 7th all season and I'm not changing my opinion. I'd love 4th though.
63 Posted 03/04/2021 at 23:17:20
Change of track but this is the general forum right? I've watched a lot of football documentaries lately but the Jack Charlton one certainly makes the room dusty. Great watch.
Paul Birmingham
64 Posted 03/04/2021 at 23:17:43
Danny for sure, and that's the spirit, needed for the rest of this season, anything can happen, that's a fact this season.

UTFT!

Mike Connolly
65 Posted 03/04/2021 at 23:27:41
Danny, I've taken a drink from the fountain of positivity and feel a lot better. Think well only get beat 0-1
66 Posted 03/04/2021 at 23:50:18
Fair one Mike. I'll go 3 - 1 Everton and raise a glass to you either way.
Paul Birmingham
67 Posted 03/04/2021 at 00:04:25
Nows the time to make this season count, and get belief and hope.

Home form, accepted has been poor and inconsistent to date, I believe this game will see Everton,come back to life for a final burst, this season.

It's the next Cup Final game of this season followed by a Cup Final every match.

The chance is there, let's believe, and Everton can win.

Ruthless and to the final whistle, give their all and play for the shirt.

Big stakes...

Mike Connolly
68 Posted 04/04/2021 at 00:07:28
Danny, I'd rather have your score than mine. Cheers
Jerome Shields
69 Posted 04/04/2021 at 08:35:44
So much for Chelsea setting up shop at home. I did think that Ancelotti would employ the same strategy at home but obviously he will have to be careful with it.
70 Posted 04/04/2021 at 08:44:38
Jerome, WBA have got a crap defence but it looked like, yesterday, they made attacking their best part of defence. Maybe if Carlo had been a bit more attacking minded he could have won some games he threw away, unless WBA have more and better attacking players than the Blues.
71 Posted 04/04/2021 at 12:54:16
Interesting half of football - surprisingly open for a contest between 2 teams in their position. Ings showed quality for the Southampton equaliser.

Whoever loses this should be okay but not out of the relegation water. I think they both have and should pick up enough points, but if Fulham get a win later they'd be looking nervously over their shoulders.

72 Posted 04/04/2021 at 12:59:28
Bit of a strange one for me later, desperate for Newcastle to go down again but don't want Spurs to win, maybe a Fulham win and draw for the barcodes v spuds.
Bill Griffiths
73 Posted 04/04/2021 at 13:19:42
Watching the girls v Aston Villa. Goaless so far, pretty poor fayre being served up so far.
74 Posted 04/04/2021 at 13:26:44
Walcott doing ok for Saints for 3rd goal, would we get a fee for him? Or is he out of contract this summer?
75 Posted 04/04/2021 at 13:33:24
He did Jeff, although hadn't done a lot until then. Not sure on his contract situation though.

Southampton deserved that, it was coming. Although I felt for Pope, that was some save just before.

And as I type, Walcott messes up a 3 v 2 break with a poor attempted pass!!

Kunal Desai
76 Posted 04/04/2021 at 13:38:38
Walcott is out of contract in the summer and will leave on a free.
77 Posted 04/04/2021 at 14:35:30
Barcodes 1-0. Really piss poor defending by spurs, who have just equalised. 1-1.
78 Posted 04/04/2021 at 14:39:19
Tottenham a 2, possibly even 3 chances to clear their lines on their right hand side Rob.

I never knew if this was true, but coaches always used to scream concentration from the sides just after scoring as apparently statistically you are most likely to concede within 5 or 10 minutes of scoring. Might have just been a motivational thing.

A short-lived inviting looking league table for about a minute then!

And now it's 2 - 1!

79 Posted 04/04/2021 at 14:40:49
FFS Kane again, now 2-1.
80 Posted 04/04/2021 at 15:48:13
2-2!
81 Posted 04/04/2021 at 15:48:16
2-2!
82 Posted 04/04/2021 at 15:48:59
Call that a draw, Rob!
83 Posted 04/04/2021 at 15:51:10
I thought I'd posted twice seeing the exclamation mark
84 Posted 04/04/2021 at 15:57:26
Finished 2-2, that'll do!!
85 Posted 04/04/2021 at 15:57:53
Finished 2-2, that'll do!!
Thomas Richards
86 Posted 04/04/2021 at 15:58:33
Need Fulham and Brighton to do us a favour now.
John Keating
87 Posted 04/04/2021 at 16:01:51
Yet again it's in our own hands.
Please don't mess it up again!!!
James Marshall
88 Posted 04/04/2021 at 16:03:18
2 things that will stop us getting into the top 4, no wait, 3 things...

1. Our crappy goal difference compared to the other teams in the hunt

2. We play Man City last game so effectively we've already lost those 3 points and will need to be out of sight by the time we play our second last game

3. We support Everton

Kevin Molloy
89 Posted 04/04/2021 at 16:14:33
he loves his late equalizers, Jose does. He'll be tapdancing down the aisle as the spurs bus starts its ten hour journey back to that London. Spurs are quite literally on their way to WEmbley.
90 Posted 04/04/2021 at 16:17:19
So, a Fulham result both keeps Villa out of reach and makes the relegation scrap interesting.

Until a few weeks back, I had this down as the most given relegation non-fight I can remember. If Fulham get a result, Newcastle will be fretting with Brighton & Burnley nervous. And dare I say, Wolves not out of the equation? Although we want Wolves to get a result tomorrow.

91 Posted 04/04/2021 at 16:18:12
Alternatively, James, win the next nine games and our goal difference and the final game away to man city will be totally irrelevant!!
Andy Finigan
92 Posted 04/04/2021 at 16:19:27
Sorry James 88 we will smash mancity last game as they won't give a jot.
Let's hope by then we need to win.
Bill Gall
93 Posted 04/04/2021 at 16:21:31
James I have been saying that for a couple of months, the biggest problem Everton have for qualifying for Europe is their G/D, that in a tie in points, a better G/D is worth an extra point. And once again we face a must win game for the points at home, and playing at home does not give us a lot of confidence
James Marshall
94 Posted 04/04/2021 at 16:27:17
Exactly, Bill. We're effectively another point behind due to our goal difference.

We won't make the top 4, not a hope.

Joe McMahon
95 Posted 04/04/2021 at 16:29:35
James @88 I've been doing my best Brian Clough impression all season "Goals Win Games".

Just for once it wouldn't it be great to have a goal difference that screams this team scores goals. Who can forget the 4th place finish and -1 goal difference.

Kevin Molloy
96 Posted 04/04/2021 at 16:30:00
the other teams are throwing points around like confetti. if we engage even half a brain top 4 is in our hands. Sadly, I have no confidence in our ability to grind out a result against even the lowliest opposition when there is ANYTHING riding on the outcome.
James Marshall
97 Posted 04/04/2021 at 16:33:05
Joe - absolutely. It just never happens with us, so we're always playing catch-up. We're an also-ran, a footnote, nothing more.

Until we start really truly competing with the top teams, we'll continue to hang onto their coat-tails as we are this season.

Everyone is inconsistent, including us so I don't see any reason to believe we're going to win enough of the last 10 games to suddenly become a real top 4 contender.

The only thing keeping us interested is blind faith.

98 Posted 04/04/2021 at 17:21:40
Let's see if Madley sticks with his decision here? It looked a foul, but not enough for a penalty, which he has now over-ruled, so that was one for VAR imo!
99 Posted 04/04/2021 at 17:25:09
This is the first season in a longtime that we are hanging onto coat-tails, which definitely makes it a good time to bring it up!
Thomas Richards
100 Posted 04/04/2021 at 17:46:10
Ross Barkley in trouble if he cant get a start in this Villa side
101 Posted 04/04/2021 at 17:52:08
Mings cock up
102 Posted 04/04/2021 at 17:53:19
Fulham 1-0. England's newest star that, Brent! 😁😁😁
103 Posted 04/04/2021 at 17:54:08
Fulham's great escape is on.
Kieran Kinsella
104 Posted 04/04/2021 at 17:57:18
Funny reading reading Villa fan comments saying Smith needs to be sacked. Not as funny though as yesterday's comments from Chelsea fans saying Tuchel has been found out, he's a fraud, busted flush, etc had a lucky start but needs to be fired.
105 Posted 04/04/2021 at 17:57:18
Shouldn't Traore have been booked for deliberate handball there? He just fell over and grabbed the ball expecting a free kick.
106 Posted 04/04/2021 at 18:01:56
Well Kieran, there's a few Evertonians who want Ancelotti sacked, and a few weeks ago Klopp was in the firing line from his own too. Fans are fickle, the merry-go-round would be spinning faster than it does now if some fans made the decisions.
107 Posted 04/04/2021 at 18:05:51
And I bet that Arsenal YouTube site was an interesting place to be yesterday evening! Even in the context of modern fan fickleness, that is a particularly volatile place.
Thomas Richards
108 Posted 04/04/2021 at 18:11:08
Two of Villas central midfielders taken off and still Barkley can't get on. Where does he go from here?
109 Posted 04/04/2021 at 18:13:04
Fulham implode
110 Posted 04/04/2021 at 18:14:11
Fulham's great escape is put on hold.
111 Posted 04/04/2021 at 18:18:44
Rob I think if this result will knock the stuffing out of them, to be leading and then concede 3 will cause heads to drop.
112 Posted 04/04/2021 at 18:19:33
That is possibly Fulham down. They done well to get into a position of giving themselves a chance but not sure they come back from this now.

I have no idea why, but I had a thought a couple of days ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see Celtic or Rangers take him.

Kieran Kinsella
113 Posted 04/04/2021 at 18:22:23
Are we ever going to play that postponed Villa game?
114 Posted 04/04/2021 at 18:24:12
Good shout that re Barkley,
115 Posted 04/04/2021 at 18:26:50
May 1st we play Villa, presume that's the
re-arranged game.
Kieran Kinsella
116 Posted 04/04/2021 at 18:29:11
Jeff

That's the home game, the away match was the one postponed as as of now (on BBC anyway) we only have nine fixtures listed of the 10 remaining

Fran Mitchell
117 Posted 04/04/2021 at 18:30:43
Jeff, the May 1st is the scheduled game. The prosponed game has yet to be re-arranged.

I wonder if the FA just forgot about it, then will get tot he end of the season and be like...oh yeah, you guys need to play.

118 Posted 04/04/2021 at 18:32:29
Kieran, your correct, looks like we'll end up playing the games close to each other, could be like a two-legged tie for Europe!
Colin Glassar
119 Posted 04/04/2021 at 18:41:00
Results have been kind(ish) so far this weekend except for Liverpool. Those two games in hand could be worth gold if we take advantage of them.
120 Posted 04/04/2021 at 18:46:42
Obviously every game matters, but for me, the 2 against Villa and the West Ham fixture will be key.

Then get something out of Tottenham and Arsenal.

They all count, but if we were to target games, those would be mine.

121 Posted 04/04/2021 at 19:27:25
It comes down to the oldest cliche in the book for me now, Danny: just take it one game as a time!
122 Posted 04/04/2021 at 19:47:02
There's a reason for cliches, Tony. They are tried and tested.

Yes, win tomorrow. Let's keep it simple!!

123 Posted 04/04/2021 at 20:24:58
Fran (117), I think the FA are just waiting to see when Grealish is fit before announcing the date of the Villa game.
Thomas Richards
124 Posted 04/04/2021 at 20:26:43
You're getting cynical as you get older, Dave.
125 Posted 04/04/2021 at 20:30:16
Thomas (124),

I've always been cynical where and when the FA are involved.

Thomas Richards
126 Posted 04/04/2021 at 20:39:02
With good reason, Dave.
127 Posted 04/04/2021 at 21:03:54
My nominee for Moron of the Week... whoever is on VAR for the Man Utd game.

How in the hell is that pen not called? Maguire's pullback was SO obvious.

Trevor Peers
128 Posted 04/04/2021 at 21:11:53
Massive evidence of why football is no longer worth paying for, Maguire pulled back Wellbeck no penalty why? Because the played involved is an England and Champions League regular – what an absolute fucking farce football has become.

I will never pay to watch a Premier League game – it's a total joke. Anybody who thinks otherwise needs to see a shrink.

Michael Kenrick
129 Posted 04/04/2021 at 22:06:42
Interesting stat: Arteta'a win rate over 50 games: 42%.
Joe McMahon
130 Posted 04/04/2021 at 22:14:27
He does come under scrutiny, doesn't he, Michael. But he got them the FA Cup last season. We would do anything for any silver.
Brendan McLaughlin
131 Posted 04/04/2021 at 22:31:53
Joe Mc #130,

You'd trade Ancelotti for Arteta?

Si Cooper
132 Posted 05/04/2021 at 00:22:14
Joe (130), the live commentators on the Arsenal game were also crediting Arteta for the team looking more focussed / organised on the pitch, in contrast to Emery and the latter stages of Wenger.

Don't think he has enough goodwill stocked up that he can afford too many repeats of Saturday though. The ropiest centre-back pairing anywhere in the league got an armchair ride.

Gerry Quinn
133 Posted 05/04/2021 at 10:43:15
Just how totally un-fucking-believable are the Redshite!!!!!

Liverpool chairman Tom Werner blames Everton goalkeeper Pickford for poor season

Come on, Everton, overtake the moaning bastards and stay above them...

Derek Knox
134 Posted 05/04/2021 at 10:51:45
Gerry, good to 'see you again', mate.

You know, Gerry, nothing that despicable bunch of a classless Club does, or comes out with surprises me anymore. They are vile individuals in the main but, in all fairness, not all of their fans are (maybe deluded but not all bad).

I have a few RS mates and sometimes even they are embarrassed, with what emanates from Satan's Den!

Darren Hind
135 Posted 05/04/2021 at 12:01:38
I don't blame Pickford for the poor season the Shite have had... But I'm happy to give him some of the credit.
Brian Williams
136 Posted 05/04/2021 at 12:40:34
Not just the journo's still mentioning it Tony. Their chairman actually blamed Pickers for their poor season in a very recent interview.

Just goes to show they're complete arseholes from the very top down!

Mike Connolly
137 Posted 05/04/2021 at 12:44:03
Surprised the media have not blamed Pickford for covid and Brexit. I suppose most fans we be happy to give Pickford credit for the shite's poor season, Darren.
Brian Williams
138 Posted 05/04/2021 at 12:50:38
......................as mentioned by Gerry@133.
Stephen Vincent
139 Posted 05/04/2021 at 14:16:43
Bolasie just scored for Boro against Watford.
140 Posted 05/04/2021 at 17:19:31
Michael @129, out of Wengers, Emery's, and Arteta's last 50 matches in charge of Arsenal, I'm certain 42% is the worst win rate out of those three managers.
Tony Hill
141 Posted 05/04/2021 at 21:00:11
Well done, David Moyes. He's embarrassing us.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

142 Posted 06/04/2021 at 20:38:56
Not the PL, but watching Norwich v Huddersfield, 5-0 at half time.

Keiran Dowell got the 5th from a wonderful team goal.

Norwich very sensible in retaining Daniel Farke and retaining most of their relegated team from last season. Romping away with the Championship for a quick return to the PL.

Game link here for anyone interested. About to show the first half goals again at the interval.

Norwich v Huddersfield

Tony Everan
143 Posted 06/04/2021 at 20:44:36
How's Buendia and Aarons playing Jay.
144 Posted 06/04/2021 at 20:45:40
Not the PL either, but nice to see the RS defenders coming unglued against Real Madrid. 2-0 so far.
Brian Murray
145 Posted 06/04/2021 at 20:48:30
Mike. Amen to that brother. Shame it's over two legs so plenty of time for an iffy pen for the horseshoe club. Hope not we really need something to get us ( me ) out this flat mood eh.
John Raftery
146 Posted 06/04/2021 at 20:51:29
Jay (142) I see Kieran Dowell also committed four fouls in the opening thirty seven minutes.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

147 Posted 06/04/2021 at 20:54:01
Buendia in particular and Cantwell totally running the show, Tony.

Not surprising given the scoreline and the home team's dominance not seeing a lot of Aarons.

Kieran Dowell fits very well in this set up also.

Colin Glassar
148 Posted 06/04/2021 at 21:05:09
Rs gettting a football lesson in Madrid 😄
Thomas Richards
149 Posted 06/04/2021 at 21:12:55
Colin, for fucks sake.

You should know better

150 Posted 06/04/2021 at 21:15:18
John #146, I always thought his Joey Barton side was well hidden.
Joe McMahon
151 Posted 06/04/2021 at 21:17:29
Thomas & Colin, its shit ain't it, and we are debating why our main striker can't score from 12 yards or the team beat Palace.
Kieran Kinsella
152 Posted 06/04/2021 at 21:18:15
Jay 142

Re. Farke, Norwich are wise and following the example of Dyche with Burnley and Curbishley at Charlton who got promoted with similarly sized teams, relegated then promoted again. If Fulham go down, I think they'd be wise to give Parker the same kind of opportunity to bounce back. Too many teams these days get promoted then sack their coach the minute it looks like they may even be in the relegation battle.

Brian Murray
153 Posted 06/04/2021 at 21:25:02
Colin. Sick of getting second hand joy at their Fck ups. We want a team to be proud of, maybe four at the most of these gobshites should be here next season. Having said that we need a boost big time so hope real can see it through eh,
Colin Glassar
154 Posted 06/04/2021 at 21:26:36
So jealous watching top players ooze skill and intelligence while we have to suffer our plodders.
155 Posted 06/04/2021 at 21:40:18
Skill level of RM is superb. Control under pressure.
Colin Glassar
156 Posted 06/04/2021 at 21:43:32
Surprised that Madrid haven't gone for the 4th goal.
Brian Williams
157 Posted 06/04/2021 at 21:55:04
City nearly did an Everton v Palace there but up steps de Bruyne with an absolute peach of a pass and Gundogan and Fodan combine to win it for them. Great side to watch.
158 Posted 06/04/2021 at 21:55:26
They did, Colin, had a couple chances right after the 3rd one but missed.

City wins at the death and Haaland is walking around sharing his phone links with all the City players. Damn, I really hope they don't snag him. He'd score 40 a season with that midfield setting him up.

Yes, BW, they sure are! Can't help but enjoy them.

Brian Murray
159 Posted 06/04/2021 at 21:58:07
Them shower won't have them kemlyn road inches away from the linesman etc putting pressure on the big decisions, it's swung their way for years, Hope bmd is as close to the pitch side as that.
Colin Glassar
160 Posted 06/04/2021 at 22:02:34
Nervy last 10 minutes there. The Madrid players looked knackered at the end.
What a joy to see players know what they are going to do with the ball before they even receive it. Skill and intelligence.
161 Posted 06/04/2021 at 22:13:29
What about the kid Bellingham? So physical in his running and robbed of a perfectly legitimate goal. I thought Dortmund gave City more problems than any team tonight, and just shows how important it is to have players, who can get around the pitch quickly, in this ultra-fast modern game.

I was also thinking that when Kenny, never went to Burnley, that maybe he might go to Norwich in the summer? Especially because it looks like they are going to sell Arrons.

Barry Rathbone
162 Posted 06/04/2021 at 22:15:11
I'll say it now - Madrid haven't done enough
163 Posted 06/04/2021 at 22:21:05
I watched the City game, but listening to the half time commentary of the other game, they were saying Madrid were wiping the floor with Liverpool, but they've also got a very hard fixture at the weekend against Barcelona, so I just hope they're not to tired next week Barry.
Kieran Kinsella
164 Posted 06/04/2021 at 22:36:00
Barry

In front of an empty kop it might be.

Tony

What are your thoughts on Haaland? Whenever I've seen him he plays like a lankier version of Mick Quinn: a goal hanger who gets tap ins

Tom Bowers
165 Posted 06/04/2021 at 22:49:55
City have so many great players I hope they win it all.

De Bruyne is probably the best player in the World on current form.

Amazing City started without Aguerro, Sterling and Jesus up front but they make chances so easily which just shows how mediocre Everton's offence really is.

166 Posted 06/04/2021 at 23:15:31
Kieran, you serious?

Haaland is the real deal. The world's next #1 striker.

Robert Tressell
167 Posted 06/04/2021 at 23:24:39
Kieran, do you watch Messi sometimes and think he's just a short Peter Beagrie?
168 Posted 06/04/2021 at 00:00:12
Mike, I watched the man city v Dortmund game. Haaland is an absolute beast of a player, but I can only recall one opportunity for him tonight. A one on one situation which Ederson managed to block. Would have been classed as a poor miss on TW last night, and not great goalkeeping by Ederson. Haaland did well with his ball round the corner to Reus to score though. City got away with a disallowed goal by Jude Bellingham in the first half, which in my opinion, and also I think the commentary team, should have stood. This tie is far from over.
Kieran Kinsella
169 Posted 07/04/2021 at 00:10:29
Mike/Robert

Lol I haven't seen him much. Just lots of tap in highlights. But now that you mention Beagrie there is a similarity but not sure if Lionel can somersault

170 Posted 07/04/2021 at 00:16:21
When you get a chance go check out the Real Sociedad presser with Mr. Alguacil. It will revive your love of football.
171 Posted 07/04/2021 at 20:20:15
Wow, the world's most celebrated goalkeeper sure looked like crap on that Mbappe shot. I think it went through his belly button.
Kieran Kinsella
172 Posted 07/04/2021 at 20:25:50
No Lewandowski or Gnabry. I haven't seen much of this young Cameroonian fellow but he has some big boots to fill
173 Posted 08/04/2021 at 11:00:16
Sorry Kieran, I've only just saw your post now mate. Haven't seen Haaland play enough but he looks very quick, and very powerful, so he might be really suited to the EPL.
174 Posted 09/04/2021 at 21:58:52
Premier league 31, not up yet but started with a pretty tame game but finished with a brilliant but stoppable goal from Troare in the last couple of minutes which won the game for Wolves and left Fulham in a desperate fight to stay up.
175 Posted 09/04/2021 at 22:29:23
Yeah, I suppose Wolves were worth it but I really wanted to see Ashley have to sweat it out again. Not likely now.
176 Posted 09/04/2021 at 22:37:24
Fulham down I'm sorry to say, as predicted last weekend, the late capitulation against Villa was the writing on the wall, hope they have a late rally, but difficult to see.
Similar situation to us really, everyone hoping against hope, but 7th or 8th it will be.
177 Posted 09/04/2021 at 22:57:53
7th will be Europe Jeff. Stop dangling hope out there!
178 Posted 09/04/2021 at 23:01:51
Danny, do we really want to be in the third tier, Europa conference league?
It will be embarrassing, think I'd rather finish 8th!

As a neutral, I only find the champions league interesting in the last 15 minutes of the semi- final second leg, the Europa league might pique my interest at the last 10 minutes of the final, but this new “ conference “ malarkey has lost my interest before it's even started!

Even more so if we're in it.

179 Posted 10/04/2021 at 07:27:42
We've (not you and I necessarily) have had this debate a few times Jeff. I get the counter but I'm in the I'd take it camp.

Regardless of the valid suspicion of the benefit of being in the lesser European competition and having to go through a qualifying round in the Faroe Islands or Kazakstan, I think having European football may just tip a transfer of two in the summer in our favour. Also, following Rob Halligan's mini-series, a European tour for this fantastic fan base would be, well, fantastic.

I get what you and others are saying and from a footballing logic I kind of understand it, but I'm up for 7th and the manager's target is European football.

We entered the 3rd tier of European competition in 1984. We kick started against University College Dublin, had what was for many the greatest night in Goodison history and won our only European trophy. I'll take it giving that another go!!

Martin Nicholls
180 Posted 10/04/2021 at 08:56:04
Jeff - I, along with a significant number of other Evertonians who had obviously had the same idea, was at 2015 EL Final in Warsaw between Dnipro and Sevilla. Exciting match and great experience although not on a par with my only other European final back in 1985! Have also watched EFC in a number of EL aways - despite the disappointing results in most, I'd take EL qualification in a heartbeat
181 Posted 10/04/2021 at 09:17:33
Martin I'm referring to a new third European competition which I think is being rolled out next season, it even uses the word conference in it's title.
I would be more than happy to enter the EL provided the squad was considerably improved to compete at home and in Europe
182 Posted 10/04/2021 at 09:29:44
That is key Jeff. We won't start next season with this squad, especially if we do manage to secure European football.

Have to admit my ignorance on the new format Jeff. Will have a read up on that.

Derek Thomas
183 Posted 10/04/2021 at 09:31:14
Jeff @ 178; you'll probable get your wish. The Europa(s) - 2 now are great for away beer ups and Goodison under lights. But as a money maker, if you don't get to at least the semis, now worthnthe dispuptionand to win it you need a very near CL quality squad.
For me it's no surprise, that CL standard 'near misses' are always there or there abouts at the business end.
Mike Doyle
184 Posted 10/04/2021 at 09:47:40
Jeff # 178 ] Like you, as a neutral, I find the latter stages of the CL of interest. The early group stages in particular are pretty dull with plenty of dead rubbers - comparable with International competition I suppose.
Personally I'd prefer all euro competitions returned to the knock out format- but we know that's not going to happen.
Thinking back 35 years, I recall many fellow blues not that excited about being in the Cup Winners Cup - regarded by some as the 3rd competition. Of course it resulted in our only Euro win - and the most exciting game many of us have ever witnessed at Goodison.
If the Europa League or a new 3rd competition came close to replicating then I'd certainly give it a chance - can't be any less exciting than the League Cup.
Trevor Peers
185 Posted 10/04/2021 at 12:56:15
Just watching City v Leeds. Sterling has the same habit as DCL he can only score inside the six yard box, hopeless at shooting otherwise.