1 Posted 19/01/2021 at 21:49:10
Hopefully we can do some business, both incoming and outgoing this window, because looking at tonight's results, we are starting to look very consolidated in our position.

Lampard in trouble? Fireman Sam's hose eventually about to run dry? He will quit before he has that on his CV in my opinion.

I know it's all about points on the board, but, with the games in hand, we are in a very healthy position.

2 Posted 20/01/2021 at 11:53:51
Read a funny quote on the BBC football website on the HYS following the West ham v West Brom game last night.

One sure way of fireman Sam avoiding taking West Brom down this season.............

Move to Newcastle and take them down instead. I thought it was funny anyway!!

Christy Ring
3 Posted 20/01/2021 at 18:23:51
I see where Villa have a fully fit squad for the game against City, with Barkley back, and couldn't field a team 3 days ago?
Derek Knox
4 Posted 20/01/2021 at 18:39:35
Good point, Christy, and the same could be said of City funnily enough, a few days before. It's all very well having games in hand against the rest, but you have to win them too. Sometimes that can create an added, uninvited pressure. Of course depending on when they are re-scheduled for, could see a weakened side too, for many reasons.
5 Posted 20/01/2021 at 20:03:37
Man City just scored a goal where I thought it was a clear offside. Goal awarded; Peter Walton, BT's ref adjudicator came on: "Clear offside, according to current rules."

10 minutes after that Walton is on saying "according to current rules that's a valid goal"

What chance has the punter got if the refs don't know the rules???

6 Posted 20/01/2021 at 20:09:46
City v Villa, glad City got that second goal because the first surely should have been ruled out by VAR. Not often they get it wrong, lol, the Man City defender was coming back from an offside position when he tackled the Villa man and won the ball.

To be honest, the penalty City got for their second goal was a bit debatable as well, they missed a hatful of chances though and deserved their victory.

7 Posted 20/01/2021 at 20:16:50
Dave, once Mings has played the ball, surely Rodrigo is entitled to go for the ball, otherwise at what point would he become active again? He was only walking back from an offside position, and I think Mings playing the ball makes Rodrigo active again. I think it was the correct decision.
John Boon
8 Posted 20/01/2021 at 20:23:19
I have just watched an excellent Man City team win against a hard working Aston Villa. City scored two goals, both of which could cause discussion.

After the game, Michael RS Owen was doing what he ALWAYS does, annoy me. I find him insufferable every time he is on TV which is far too often. He is ALWAYS hogging the discussions and just having to be heard as though he was the world's gift to football and oratory.

Personally I really don't care how people speak. As a scouser, accents can vary considerably. It is what you say that matters. From Owen Red Shite's mouth, there often comes utter garbage but there is one more thing: He has an accent all of his own. I have NEVER heard anyone speak like him.

Can someone let me know – is the way he speaks unique or I am living in a fog? By the way I really am biased because he annoys me so much.

9 Posted 20/01/2021 at 20:28:14
Rob (4), possibly Rob, I thought he was offside myself, but VAR didn't seem to look at that part of the goal, if what they showed on TV was what considered just concentrated on what happened after City won the ball.

There is an interesting point of view of the goal and the input of an ex referee on the incident, read Derek Thomas on the Ellis Simms goes to Blackpool thread.

10 Posted 20/01/2021 at 20:31:41
(5), that should have read “ Thomas Richards thread” sorry Thomas!!
11 Posted 20/01/2021 at 20:36:42
Snazzy finish from that young fella Lookman against ManUtd.

Where have I seen him before?

12 Posted 20/01/2021 at 20:37:59
Fuck me, Dave. There's only 6 posts on here up to now. 50% of them are yours.

I wont alert the lads who check the amount of posts if you promise to do the same. :-)

Joe McMahon
13 Posted 20/01/2021 at 20:50:45
Mike, I wanted him to stay. Like Vlasic and Kean. IMO none of them got enough minutes, and certainly not enough starts.
14 Posted 20/01/2021 at 20:54:16
Statistics are such a fluid thing.
Darren Hind
15 Posted 20/01/2021 at 20:59:59
I think people only start counting apologies when they get into three figures... on one thread.

Difficult to miss.

16 Posted 20/01/2021 at 21:03:57
Joe, did you know that Vlasic was overwhelmingly voted Player of the Year in the Russian league? 13 goals and 6 assists in 25 games, led the league in both shots and passing. And that was with his club, CSKA, having a bad season. Think we missed one there.

Still not so sure about Lookman. I was always calling for him off the bench, but he was a complete flop in his return to Leipzig and hasn't been exactly spectacular on loan at Fulham. When that many managers leave you out, there's definitely something wrong with you.

17 Posted 20/01/2021 at 21:07:20
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present...

Christine Foster
18 Posted 20/01/2021 at 21:14:44
Just watched a fixed match, Man City vs Aston Villa, decided in the last 10 mins of the game by VAR, no surprises there but it was the nature of the first goal that will fill all of us with disgust.

We see the same incident every week, every game. A forward tries to close down a keeper about to launch a ball upfield, the defence has moved up 20 yards, kepper clears, the ball is won by an opposition player who launches it back directly at the now well offside player. A defender, in this case Mings, takes the ball on his chest while the lone attacker comes in from behind him and still in an offside position, steals the ball, plays it to another attacker who hammers it home.

Offside. Interfered with play, see it every week since time began. Manager and Villa players furious. Moss the referee books then sends off the manager; VAR says the player is onside the moment the defender touches the ball. Wrong. Law says that player coming back must not interfere with play. Disgraceful decision.

Now, as a result, City go top. One rule for one, another for the few. Clear as day. No wonder if I was a Villa fan I would be throwing things at the TV in disgust. The only surprise was that it was Villa not Everton, but that was as bent as it gets.

19 Posted 20/01/2021 at 21:18:30
Thomas (8), I can't help myself, I'm even worse live. Agree with you about City's first goal on another thread, as you said if referees don't know the score how are we supposed to know.

It looks like like you were going to present someone @ (13) hope it's not that fuckin' Stan Boardman!!

20 Posted 20/01/2021 at 21:20:22
Christine, had he actually challenged Mings for the ball while it was in the air, you'd be right, but once a defender plays the ball, it's open to challenge even from a player coming back from offsides. When Mings played the ball down with his chest (a really stupid decision), the attacker was under no obligation to leave the ball alone. He legally helped himself to it.
Rob Dolby
21 Posted 20/01/2021 at 21:27:45
The Vlasic, Lookman, Sigurdsson, Klassen, Dowell, Barkley formation has about as much aggression as A Kenneth Williams 11.

A case can be made for all of them being decent but not all on the same pitch at once.

City v Villa was a good game for the neutral. Peter Walton said it was offside then got his rule book out 10 mins later to say it was indeed a good goal. For an experienced ref not to know, what chance has anyone else got? Ming's should have dealt with it better anyhow.

22 Posted 20/01/2021 at 21:29:53

Dave, met him at Aintree one year. Very briefly. He had the corner of the hospitality tent to himself after half an hour.

Click that link, mate, and skip to 2 minutes from the end.

Ernie Baywood
23 Posted 20/01/2021 at 21:56:08
That offside rule has never made sense to me. If the ball goes forward and an attacker is a mile offside, just call it offside unless there's a clear advantage to playing on.

The defender is forced to play forward. Can't play back. That's why the attacker is interfering with play.

I'm sure we conceded one (or nearly did) where a defender had to head the ball away with an offside player behind them, and it put the ball back in a dangerous position.

Mike, the chest might not be a smart decision but what were his options? Head it 10 yards forward to allow City to contest for the ball in midfield?

24 Posted 20/01/2021 at 21:58:25
Mike # 16. Exactly what I said earlier on in the thread. I could understand Rodrigo being offside if he went for the ball before Mings played it, but once Mings touches the ball, then surely Rodrigo is active again, otherwise when would he become active?
Christine Foster
25 Posted 20/01/2021 at 22:10:54
Sorry guys but he IS interfering with play. When the ball is played up to him he is offside, play will only go on if he gains no advantage. Mings did touch the ball with his chest but it was not under his control the forward steals the ball from behind and the rest is history. How is the forward not interfering with play?

All my life that has been offside, seriously, to say as soon as a defender touches it he is onside is wrong, its when the ball is played forward initially.

Jason Wilkinson
26 Posted 20/01/2021 at 22:11:13
How can anyone coach defending these days? The laws don't make any sense. VAR has players onside because some player's armpit is playing them on. You can't breathe on an opponent. You need your arms taping to your body. If you get all of it right, the corrupt refs make it up to suit the Sky darlings.
Christine Foster
27 Posted 20/01/2021 at 22:23:50
Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
interfering with an opponent by:
preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent's line of vision or
challenging an opponent for the ball or
clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

28 Posted 20/01/2021 at 22:24:01
Ernie #19, yep, he should definitely have headed that ball. Had an open teammate ahead of him. Easy.

Christine #23, you just answered your own question. Rodrigo didn't do any of those things. He challenged only after Mings played the ball, not before. Mings received the ball unmolested and was in control by definition, even if his touch was crappy. Rob is correct. Whether Rodrigo can challenge isn't dependent on whether Mings makes a good touch or a bad one.

29 Posted 20/01/2021 at 22:30:29
The law states that a player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent. (Not quite sure what that last bit means, does it mean by giving a penalty away?)

Anyway, Rodrigo was not looking to gain any sort of advantage until Mings played the ball, he was just walking back from an offside position, and was therefore entitled to challenge for the ball.

30 Posted 20/01/2021 at 22:32:52
Rob, "deliberate save" means a goalkeeper stopping a shot or a defender blocking one. If the attacker is in an offside position and the rebound of a save comes to him, even from in front of him, he's offside.
31 Posted 20/01/2021 at 22:34:39
Cheers Mike, I understand that bit of the offside law, to me it doesn't seem very clear the way it's written down.
Brendan McLaughlin
32 Posted 20/01/2021 at 22:52:10
Christine,

Mike & Rob are correct...it was a valid goal. Even the Villa manager who was sent off for his protests at the goal only complained afterwards about it being a stupid law rather than the officials getting it wrong on the night.

Ernie Baywood
33 Posted 20/01/2021 at 23:02:20
Mike, the rules call that goal as ok. But we surely know it isn't?

We're asking the defender to play a different game. When the ball is looped up to him his options are:
1) Head it forward 10 yards (that's all he'd get moving backwards to a looping ball). The outcome is Villa under pressure in their own half.
2) Control it and clear - and as soon as he chests it he's got a previously inactive attacker up his backside.
3) Be 'smart' with the rules and choose to let the ball bounce through to the offside opponent. Of course another attacker could run through from an onside position.

Every one of those decisions is a result of the presence of the attacker who is apparently not interfering. If you take the attacker away he simply turns and plays it back to the keeper. As he should be able to because it was a nothing moment without the current rules.

I won't debate whether the rules make that a goal or not. But if it does, then the rule needs to be changed immediately. It's not the first time we've seen a defender forced to play a ball because of a 'not interfering' attacker in an offside position.

Eddie Dunn
34 Posted 20/01/2021 at 23:22:52
The problem we have as regards offside is the notion of "inactivity". If we remove that term the game becomes more simple for officials and players. So often forwards deliberately take up offside positions at free-kicks etc, to try to draw the defenders backwards. They usually meander back onside before the kick is taken but the law is so vaguwe that if they stay offside and the ball goes to another player, then they can distract defenders from their task. Therefore they are interfering with play.

Christine, I wonder how the scene would have been viewed had Villa scored such a goal?

During the game the pundit spoke about City being favourites for the title whilst Villa were eventually mentioned as having "European hopes". Had they not looked at games in hand? If Villa had won tonight and their other games then they would be top 3 or 4.

35 Posted 20/01/2021 at 23:23:24
That is an astute critique of the rule, Ernie, thanks for expanding on that.
Jason Wilkinson
36 Posted 20/01/2021 at 23:51:12
Bill Shankly once said "If a player isn't interfering with play, he shouldn't be on the pitch!" I wholeheartedly agree with the statement. The laws of the game are making the game hard to watch.

West Brom's goal (vs West ham) should have been chalked off. They had a player pulling his knee away from the shot while about 4 yards offside. We don't need VAR. We need Prof Brian Cox to explain these decisions. He's done explaining the universe. He needs a bigger challenge.

Ricky Oak
37 Posted 21/01/2021 at 05:47:34
Don't worry about Aston Villa, even though I agree it was a bollox decision, when Villa play us, they'll get their own back.

It's corruption, plain and simple: VAR, officials and commentary have a list of 'fancied' teams and we, Everton, are way down that list.

It is not my imagination, running away with me. Week-in & week-out, it happens. Only wish I had the smarts to compile some statistics over the years. Oh, and the clout to make such a noise about it that its stopped, immediately.

ETID.

Ricky Oak
38 Posted 21/01/2021 at 06:09:05
As an aside, the Man Utd defence, they hang off players, kick, slap and pull… yet, go near them, near their area, and they fall over at the slightest touch, gaining a foul! Same as their midfield, especially, apple through a five bar gate, Fernandes. It's, infuriating. Will the referees ever be brought to account?

Live in hope, dare to dream. Highly disappointed, regularly!

Brian Harrison
39 Posted 21/01/2021 at 10:33:44
Funny that, so far this season, the papers have been suggesting that Arteta would be sacked, now they have said that Lamphard will be the next Premier League manager to be sacked.

Maybe both Arsenal and Chelsea need to look no further than Man Utd: despite there being a massive clamour to sack Solskjaer earlier in the season, they are now top of the Premier League.

When you appoint new managers, the things they need most is time and support; I wonder where Man Utd would be if they had sacked Ole Gunnar Solskjaer? I would suggest not top of the league.

I think he deserves massive credit, especially the way he has handled the Paul Pogba situation. He had a player whose agent went public to say Pogba wanted out of Man Utd. Yet Solskjaer ignored all of that and now has Pogba playing some of his best football.

I would imagine not many would have thought that Hasenhütl would have survived after their 9-0 mauling by Leicester City, but he has, and his team are doing him proud.

So I think the message to clubs is: You appointed these managers because you believed in them, so why ditch them at the first downturn in form? I think every manager needs at least 3 years to get his style across and clubs need to stop making knee-jerk reactions.

Andy Crooks
40 Posted 21/01/2021 at 19:21:12
Thomas @22, love that you sent that link to Dave. I think you should write a description of the hapless Boardman, attach it to a pigeon's leg, get Dave's address from Tony and send the bird on it's way. Look out for the response via smoke signal.

Just kiddin, Dave, I know that your tech prowess is on the up!! Spoke to Derek, today, by the way. Next meet at the Excelsior is on our minds. It will come around. Hope you and the family are well.

41 Posted 21/01/2021 at 19:24:33
Didnt realise that Dave.
Apologies mate.
Pony express will be at yours 10am tomorrow.
42 Posted 21/01/2021 at 19:57:33
Cmon Burnley! Remember the Alcoyano!
(only the yanks will get that, if it is worth getting)
43 Posted 21/01/2021 at 20:00:41
No win in 4 league games for the shite, so what happens? The Premier League appoint Mike Dean as the referee for tonight's game. A sure fire win for the shite. 😠😠😠
44 Posted 21/01/2021 at 20:08:12
Rob #43, I feel the same way about Dean that you do, but let's face it, the RS are up against a club that has scored 9 goals. NINE. So I'm afraid this is surefire for other reasons besides the ref.
45 Posted 21/01/2021 at 20:12:25
I just read the first few words on your post Rob, and thought the bastards hadn't won again then! I honestly think that Mike Dean being allowed to referee Liverpool, is bringing the game into disrepute, it's honestly something I can't get my head around.

I know I sound like one of them, but imagine the screams (correctly) if they found out Anthony Taylor, had two sons with seasons tickets in the Stretford End?

46 Posted 21/01/2021 at 20:41:20
Mike, scary stat, that. On the positive side though, Nick Pope, in his last ten league games, has kept five clean sheets and only conceded five goals. Nearly halfway to another clean sheet.

47 Posted 21/01/2021 at 20:41:50
Liverstool could be feeling the pressure. It would be nice to see Klopp try to cut it close with his squad and squander more points.
48 Posted 21/01/2021 at 20:44:20
Sitter by Origi!!
Eugene McLoughlin
49 Posted 21/01/2021 at 20:46:13
Fucking gobshite commentator has mentioned the derby Silva's last game about 5 times and also Pickford against Van Dick mentioned again and Richarlison's tackle on the wee c**t Thiago. FUCK OFF SKY CUNTS
50 Posted 21/01/2021 at 20:49:46
The Origi null sin.
51 Posted 21/01/2021 at 20:50:27
And A-A is really on his game, fuckin A.
52 Posted 21/01/2021 at 20:51:00
Should Fabinho have got a red card on the half time whistle? He appeared to elbow a Burnley player then aim a kick at him. Dean only gives a yellow after VAR say no further action required.
Stuart Sharp
53 Posted 21/01/2021 at 20:54:16
Come on, it took them 42 mins to mention VVD. That's a record.
Eugene McLoughlin
54 Posted 21/01/2021 at 20:56:34
See Kloppity losing it at half time, fucking Dyche would fuck him right up, big fucking mouthed cunt Klippoty.
55 Posted 21/01/2021 at 20:57:12
Klopp throwing a wobbler at Sean Dyche down in the tunnel. Hilarious!!
Stuart Sharp
56 Posted 21/01/2021 at 20:57:51
Wish that scrap had developed. Would love to see Sean and Klopp slug it out.
Eddie Dunn
57 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:02:57
Mourinho rightly exposed Klopp for outrageous touchline histrionics. Klopp is putting pressure on the officials with his behaviour. He is a bully of the highest order. I am watching on Hesgoal.. they have Jim Beglin. trying his best to sound unbiased but is clearly very biased. Then one of the two guys in the studio is Matteo. Joke!
58 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:05:00
Klopp really is a sore loser. All grins and bonhomie when he's winning. When things not going his way, his real personality comes out. Another whinger.
59 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:07:44
Klopp will be getting fit for another set of dentures if he keeps that up.
Tommy Carter
60 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:39:21
Media love Klopp so he's allowed to do whatever the hell he wants.

This includes running onto the pitch to celebrate with players during a game. It was an absolute disgrace, diabolical yet was glossed over as ‘passion' and what people want to see.

I've never seen this on an elite football pitch before or since. Mourinho has come close himself but has usually stuck to the touch line or just beyond it.

It was completely outrageous

Eugene McLoughlin
61 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:39:52
COMEE ON BURNLEY PENO!!!!
Alex Winstanley
62 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:40:44
Oh dear Liverpool!!!!
Eugene McLoughlin
63 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:40:46
GET FUCKING INNNNN!!!!
64 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:40:54
Yeeeeeeesssssssseeeee come on hold on!!
65 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:42:09
KNELLLLLLL1! Cmon Burnley, get three.
Andrew Ellams
66 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:42:24
Late penalty at Anfield going the other way. We really are living in strange times.
Ian Horan
67 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:42:34
It will be like the Alamo!!! Now, here comes the RS diving squad
Mark Murphy
68 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:43:01
One of my new year resolutions was to ignore THEM...

Yesssssss come on Burnley! Kick ten shades of shite out of them!!!

Ernie Baywood
69 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:43:22
We've got Beglin commentating.

"Barnes could have been off the pitch for that incident at half time."

Did anyone else see that incident as Fabinho kicking out?

Alex Winstanley
70 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:45:41
Carragher close to tears in commentary.. Loving it!
71 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:47:00
Where's Terry with that Glenfiddich?!?!
Bill Gall
72 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:47:11
What an arsehole this color commentator Beglin is, going on about he didn't think that Allison touched the Burnley player.

Can't wait to see McManamman's face at full time already pissed off because the Burnley player never got a second yellow card just before half-time.

Tony McNulty
73 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:50:05
Will we see Klopp's usual dignity in defeat I wonder?
Ricky Oak
74 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:50:22
Hear them trying to get Pope to be England No 1 as well? Can't help themselves, can they, the biased turds. Always knocking us at every opportunity, seriously.
75 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:50:40
And remember this is a 4-year home undefeated streak crashing down.
76 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:52:05
Played Pope. Played Mee!!!
Mark Murphy
77 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:52:56
Shhhhh ffs! It's not finished yet!! Shhhh
78 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:53:03
Fuck yeah.
Bill Gall
79 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:53:48
All over, start crying Klopp.
80 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:53:57
Look at them whingeing at the ref. Sore losers. No grace at all.
Eddie Dunn
81 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:54:14
Where did Dean get that extra minute?
82 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:54:29
Hahahahahahaha. Fuck off, Klopp, yer bellend. Hope Sean Dyche decks yer in the tunnel!!! 😁😁😁😁
83 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:54:47
They play after us next week. We could top them with a win at Leicester.
Ricky Oak
84 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:54:57
Exactly, Eddie, corruption!
85 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:55:22
He will come out now and blame the injury to his holiness as the reason for the collapse.

Nothing to do with the fact they have scored one goal in five games.

86 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:55:32
And Dean was going to present them with a win?
Eddie Dunn
87 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:55:55
Jim Beglin trying to accuse Barnes of cheating... "There was contact and these day strikers go down." Yes, Jim, Firminio, Mane and Salah go down like that all the time.
Jeff Armstrong
88 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:56:04
Eddie it was a present for his lad who is a RS season ticket holder.
Eddie Dunn
89 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:57:34
It wouldn't have been a pen 20 years back but over the last 5 years, the contact equals pen.
Jeff Armstrong
90 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:57:45
Barnes was fouled twice in that incident but Dean somehow missed the tug (and second yellow) by Fabhino.
Bill Gall
91 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:58:05
Well that makes nice reading: 2 points behind with 2 games in hand behind a team that couldn't score in a brothel.
Steve Shave
92 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:58:43
Mike Gaynes - didn't our Niasse also get Russian league player of the season once? Now I know Vlasic has more talent in his little finger the Niasse, however it's not the best standard.
93 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:58:56
Wasn't that denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity for the penalty? If so shouldn't the bearded lady have been sent off?
Stuart Sharp
94 Posted 21/01/2021 at 21:59:02
Amen. They were bafflingly poor. Personally, I thought the incident at half time was nothing of real note. Handbags. I don't generally like Barnes, but that was sweet.
Tom Bowers
95 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:00:28
I just love Sean Dyche !!!!!!
Colin Glassar
96 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:00:59
Hahahaha sad I know but, hahahaha
Stuart Sharp
97 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:01:09
More dodgy than anything at half time was the tug by Fabinho. 2nd yellow, no? It was two penalties in one go.
Paul Birmingham
98 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:01:21
What goes around, comes around.

The RS, can have no complaints, after decades of getting away with it, and they have a front line of Oscar winners, for diving and feigning..

But let's hope we can get our act together on Saturday, and then for next week and a 6 pointer v Leicester.

A good start to this weekend.

All stay safe and well.

Graham Hammond
99 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:01:35
Takes a lot to put a smile on my face these days but this is pure bliss. It is far from over yet but the betting odds will have lengthened now at least to allow a covering (compensation) bet at decent odds. Mike Dean really did not want to blow that whistle but he had to do it (albeit belatedly) and so justice was done. Bliss.
Eddie Dunn
100 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:01:43
Jeff, I suspect Mike Dean is a quiet Red. I used to go with a Red mate to watch Tranmere on a Friday night. I was Everton, he was Liverpool. My father-in-law was a season ticket holder at Rovers for years.. he is an ardent Liverpool fan. There are the die hard super white Birkenhead lot but loads of them support the big boys as well. My uncles from Rock Ferry went to Tranmere..all Red shite. Mike Dean has slipped through the fucking net!
101 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:01:47
That lot might have played some good football last season but boy were they lucky with a lack of injuries to key players. A few injuries this season shows the fragility of their squad, of their mentality, and of their humility.

Sorry, not meant to talk about the shallowness of squads - as you were, it's all down to the manager.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

102 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:02:11
Four consecutive games by them without scoring.

Failed to score in 5 of their last 8 games.

Take away their complete outlier and 7 goals v Palace (only 1 of 2 PL wins on the road this season) and they have scored just 3 other goals in those same 8 games.

3 draws, 2 defeats in their last 5 games earning just 3 points from 15.

And us now just 2 points adrift of them with 2 games in hand.

Maybe the fellah who presented solid evidence that their 'ashmatic recovery program' of last season could not be repeated without risking serious long term damage to the players' health was on to something.

Eddie Dunn
103 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:02:49
Classless whinging wankers
104 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:04:35
Jason Li
105 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:07:06
Can they get another 6 points to stay up. ROFL!
Tom Harvey
106 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:08:55
Those on here who thought we had problems with Pickford? I hope Allinson gives us a pen like that in the Derby.
Brian Murray
107 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:14:41
C'mon, Brands, we have a great chance to turn the screw and keep the foot on the neck! Just two signings of quality will do. Known or unknown.
108 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:19:33
Well, well. 2 points behind the champions with 2 games in hand.

Win said games in hand we go level with Leicester.

And still we barely get a mention. Long may that continue. We are in a good spot.

109 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:19:49
Klopp on NBC: "It's actually impossible to lose but we did it. And that's my fault."

We've got two games in hand on them. Win one and we're above 'em.

Steve #92, no, Oumar never got POY in Russia, although he scored 19 in 42 games there. You're right, it's not a real high standard, but no denying Nikola is pretty decent.

Craig Walker
110 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:21:45
They don't have anywhere near the energy in games they've had for the last 2 years. How many times have we seen our lads tire and there's nothing in the tank after 60 mins? Whereas the RS are pressing in the 90th minute like it's the first.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories usually but I read that article, too, about caffeine tonics and its effects on athletes. Speculation, maybe but it certainly fits. The article I read used it to explain Leicester's rise and then struggle to defend the title the following year.

Of course, it will be Everton's and Pickford's fault which the media will help propagate.

111 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:26:10
Klopp saying "It's all my fault" and in the next breath "It's poor decision making in the box".

Yeh, we know you're absolving yourself of blame, Klopp.

112 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:26:31
In fairness, Craig, it took Klopp a year of so to condition them to play that way.

That, combined with their hitherto blessed luck with lack of injuries to key players enabled them to play with such high levels of energy.

A combination of them eventually running out of steam and becoming mortals like the rest of us with injuries has hit them.

113 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:27:02
Craig 110,

The asthma treatments Liverpool gave to the majority of their squad last season has come back to bite them on the arse.

Robert Tressell
114 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:29:42
That's cheered me right up. Good old Burnley.
115 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:33:21
Bit of a "to-do" between Klopp and Dyche at the end?

I've said before watch this space. Klopp is great when things are going well. I suppose we can all say that about ourselves. But I'm wary of a person who smiles or laughs when things go wrong.

His last season at Dortmund was far from graceful when things didn't go right.

Get the popcorn ready, this could get entertaining. The man is very capable of meltdown.

Craig Walker
116 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:35:47
Thomas. Yes. Is that proven though? I'd like to see the list of asthmatics. Would make for good ammunition when my RS colleague starts spouting nonsense again.

My dad used to say whenever a team scored a hatful “they'll need some of those goals in the next game”. Have they actually won or scored since they thumped Palace? I haven't checked but I think those 7 might be their last goals.

Just hope we can keep progressing and maybe bring in a couple of good players to help us push on.

117 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:37:38
Craig, have a look at Jay's excellent analysis above on the rs goals this season.
Craig Walker
118 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:45:36
Sorry, Jay. I missed that. Great stuff.

My dad would be smiling up there that his old mantra has come true, again. Hope it continues!

119 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:51:13
Craig #116

I don't know if it's out in the open mate, or even if it's correct.

A mate, whose word I trust, told me they had over 20 players registered as asthmatic last season.

Apparently being a registered astmatic allows recovery treatments not allowed for non-asthmatics in the Premier League.

As I say, don't know if it's true.

120 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:54:07
Thomas, true or not, it's a good wheeze.
Mike Connolly
121 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:55:41
A little stat
There has been two American presidents since Liverpool last scored
122 Posted 21/01/2021 at 22:57:15
Fuck off, Brent, I'm gasping here.
123 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:00:27
Thomas, you're like a breath of fresh air on this site.
124 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:01:04
I've got asthma.
125 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:02:22
Soz.
126 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:04:29
Dont be, Brent. I am recieving treatment at liverpools training ground.

Doing two marathons this week. :-)

Tom Bowers
127 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:05:44
I don't think for one minute Liverpool use anything special to ensure their players keep running like Energizer bunnies for 90 minutes. If that was the case then only one or two people could know about it as the first time anyone leaves or gets pissed off would blow the gaff, right.

Let's face it they got it right last season because they had the players particularly up front who could dismantle teams especially if they scored early and then their back four was strong enough to generally shut out the opposition.

This season due to a variety of reasons they are starting to struggle but you just know they will be tough to beat in any game.

However, repeating the success of last season was always going to be a big ask and when Villa thrashed them early in the season there was rise for concern for Klopp.

Everton play them in a few weeks and one hopes they are still under the weather.

Watching Man City is a pleasure and I cannot see anyone topping them although Aston Villa had some good opportunities yesterday before that dodgy goal.

128 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:07:00
Doing as in eating?
129 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:08:41
Sussed.

Don't tell anyone. I've got loads of sponsors.

Bill Gall
130 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:09:14
Well I never thought I would be thanking Liverpool FC but I am. The reason, today my wife and I are celebrating our 60th wedding anniversary but unfortunately with the Covid-19 epidemic we are in a red zone and can't have any visitors. This meant our family could not go out for a meal and a celebration and we were feeling down in the dumps.

Then Liverpool go and get beat and my spirits were lifted (a couple of rum and cokes ) listening to the whining of McManaman of how poor Liverpool were really made my night so thank you, Liverpool – you made a poor day a lot better.

131 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:10:17
Good night lads.

Always a pleasure.

Paul Birmingham
132 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:10:49
Let's focus on us, fekk the RS, and an interesting weekend awaits.

Will an EPL manager, Mr Ed, going mad dog, down the players tunnel, verbally and body language and tone, abusing Dysche, get charged for bringing the game into disrepute?

Imagine Dunc, doing that to Mr Ed...

.Double standards, and the EPL, is melting away in its governance of their rules, laws of the game and standards, every passing season.

Tony Hill
133 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:16:08
Many congrats, Bill @ 130. Remarkable stamina. Unlike the RS.
Paul Birmingham
134 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:16:11
Congratzioni, Bill to you, your wife and family on your fantastic achievement, of your 60th wedding anniversary.

TWrs, will have a few for you over the next few days, to help celebrate and hopefully a win for Everton, on Sunday night.

Have a Ball, and enjoy!
☘️🥃🍾🍺🍻⚽️

135 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:16:30
Congratulations Bill! 60 years is impressive, I got kicked out at 10. Glad the Red Shite provided a gift for the occasion.
136 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:18:13
Bill #130, Mazel Tov!

We're all partying with you. Remotely.

137 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:21:10
Well played, Bill!
138 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:35:26
Happy golden one, Bill. And Mrs Bill obviously!
Phil Bellis
139 Posted 21/01/2021 at 23:38:56
Congrats, Bill, to you and the missus... Another bloody good reason to have another Staropramen (hic! 💙)
Paul Birmingham
140 Posted 21/01/2021 at 00:04:44
Phil, the Staropramen, a potent brew, and at the Ship & Mitre, is rocket fuel.

The Old Mans, mile down Dale Street, as me and some ma8s, when did, could and now rarely do, due to lock down, effectively the last 12 months, puts in perspective the quality pubs and ales on offer down Dale Street, and after the match, some times.

Here's to one day soon, and a TW catch up and beer fest, but it looks a long time in the making, but All stay safe and well.

Phil Bellis
141 Posted 22/01/2021 at 00:36:43
Agreed, Paul...

A large part of my mis-spent youth was with the lads from the match in the Hole in the Wall, Palatine, Pen and Wig, Why Not etc... Lodge Lane and Park Road are other stories. 😊

You also, stay safe, pal💙

Jeff Armstrong
142 Posted 22/01/2021 at 05:51:46
Chris Wilder has won more games than Klopp in 2021.
Eddie Dunn
143 Posted 22/01/2021 at 07:18:24
Bill, that is outstanding. You are the Gareth Barry of marriage... congrats!
Steve Shave
144 Posted 22/01/2021 at 07:57:09
Enjoyed watching Klopp's meltdown again this morning. :)

agree with above comments that media bias and failure to give credit to us where it's due might take the spotlight and pressure off. Let's keep plugging away and picking up points, in a good position without really clicking yet. COYB.

145 Posted 22/01/2021 at 09:18:30
Bill (130), sorry you and your wife's big day was spoilt because of this terrible virus, but Klopp and Burnley made up for it to make your day a lot better, congratulations, celebrate your anniversary when everything gets better.
146 Posted 22/01/2021 at 09:32:58
Thomas (22), noticed that link through Andy late last night, worked on it through the night, about seven hours and finished up with “Video Not Available”.

I'm just going out to enrol in night school for modern fuckin' technology. Told you that Stan Boardman wasn't funny, made a career out of Cairnsie's (Jackie Hamilton) act.

147 Posted 22/01/2021 at 09:44:32
Stan v Johnny.

Only one winner there Dave. One of the funniest man I ever met. The story of the prisoner of war movie had me crying first time I heard it. Still funny now.

Christopher Timmins
148 Posted 22/01/2021 at 09:49:47
As things stand, we need to finish ahead of the team across the park if we want Champions League football. They are like a marathon runner who has just hit the wall.

149 Posted 22/01/2021 at 09:55:29
Thomas (147), so you'll know he was just as funny off stage as on. A good Evertonian as well.
150 Posted 22/01/2021 at 10:18:18
One thing this thread has proved is that the only time people don't argue, is when Liverpool lose!

I hope they have hit the wall, Christopher, but Jota will be back for them soon, and he was the one who was keeping them a little bit fresh. That report made a lot of sense to me, and Liverpool's asthmatic squad, have had to be reigned in, because they have been getting legal-highed, right up to the wire. (And have possibly reached dangerous levels of pushing themselves to the limit?)

I thought Klopp, wasn't that bad in his interview last night, and when he said Dyche started it, it then became quite clear, that the Burnley manager had given him food for thought, when you listened to Dyche say that they just expect us to come here without any thoughts about winning.

Brian Harrison
151 Posted 22/01/2021 at 10:28:02
Tony

I can imagine that had we gone 5 league games without a goal some of our posters would be apoplectic. Michael Keane has scored more goals in 2021 than their entire team – love it. Mind it's all down to Pickford, can't understand why he hasn't been handed a season-long ban.

Big week for the Blues: beat Leicester City, which we have already done, and we will be in a really healthy position.

152 Posted 22/01/2021 at 10:39:12
Trying to remember, Dave. He loved his wine. Was it Charlotte Street his local?

153 Posted 22/01/2021 at 12:49:07
Thomas (152), yes Thomas, Charlotte St. was one of the many places and Wine Lodges Cairnsie drank in, in fact it was there him and a few more, including the Duttons ( all comedians) brought a donkey, painted blue and white with a big rosette pinned to it right around the bar, the night after we won the FA cup in 1966, another night the same crew were refused service upstairs in The Legs of Man because they were not wearing a tie, the next night they all went back wearing ties but no shirts, happy days, so many wonderful characters have left the scene, but never forgotten by those of us who revelled watching and listening to them.
Steve Carse
154 Posted 22/01/2021 at 13:41:14
Jason (36), not sure but I think you might find that in Shankly's days as manager the offside rule was straightforward and that the comment came from Clough.
Kieran Kinsella
155 Posted 22/01/2021 at 15:19:50
Steve Ferns (who hasn't been on here of late) had a theory about Liverpool's dubious supplements and cycles, that he said would mean Liverpool would not do well this year. I can't remember the specifics as at the time I thought it might be about as valid as his theories about Marco Silva, but in hindsight he seems to have hit gold on this occasion.

In other news, Vardy is injured so three points against Brenda.

Brian Harrison
156 Posted 22/01/2021 at 15:23:57
Some good news: Calvert-Lewin is back fit and training and could play on Sunday, Digne and Iwobi won't play Sunday but will be back for Leicester.

Also seems like Allan might be back for the game against Man Utd. Leicester also confirm that Vardy needs a hernia operation that will keep him out for a few weeks.

Tony Everan
157 Posted 22/01/2021 at 15:32:15
Kevin de Brunye out for 6 weeks, Vardy having an operation and will be out for a few weeks. The RS are in meltdown. Arsenal too far back, Chelsea really struggling. There's an opportunity opening up for us this season to really go for it.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

158 Posted 22/01/2021 at 15:41:28
Kieran @ 155.

This is the article Steve probably drew his information from:

Why Liverpool Won't Win the PL This Season

I must admit, whilst the widely reported number of Liverpool footballers being listed as 'ashmatic' allowing them to receive certain medication raised an eyebrow, I wasn't convinced by the hypothesis in this article when I first read it.

Nor did I see any convincing evidence when the same charges were made against Leicester in the title winning year.

Now, I'm not so sure.

The comments following the article by outraged reds are quite funny in themselves...

159 Posted 22/01/2021 at 15:47:33
Some kind of report was posted on ToffeeWeb, Kieran, although it was possibly in a link, which some of the cleverer people can deliver.

It was very interesting, explained about Vardy's diet the year Leicester won the title, explained why Man City dropped off, and predicted that Liverpool, might be better concentrating on the cups this year, because this new phenomenon of pushing players to the limits, (legal highs) might just have catastrophic consequences one day. (Someone's heart could just explode on them.)

Thanks Jay, right on cue mate!

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

160 Posted 22/01/2021 at 15:54:04
You set 'em up, Tony. I'll tap 'em in!

Jay Harris
161 Posted 22/01/2021 at 16:16:51
Funniest quote I heard yesterday:-

"The USA has had 2 presidents since Liverpool last scored".

One of my happier days lately especially watching Klopp losing the plot.

162 Posted 22/01/2021 at 16:28:16
Thanks for that upbeat update Tony. Does this mean Keane is eating ‘Nacho's at Leicester?
163 Posted 22/01/2021 at 17:21:10
Read the link in Jays article. No idea if this is true or false.

It reminds me of an interview I read in one of the Sundays a while ago, and the depths professional athletes will sink to if it means winning a title.

The interview was with a sprinter (anonymously). He stated he knew how dangerous the performance-enhancing drugs were to the longevity of his life. He said if he could win Olympic gold and even if he was told by a doctor they would take 10 years off his life, he would swap the 10 years of life for the gold medal.

Kieran Kinsella
164 Posted 22/01/2021 at 18:40:55
Jay 158,

Thanks. That does seem to be the probable source of Steve's comments.

Derek Wadeson
165 Posted 22/01/2021 at 19:10:44
Interesting stats in the BBC's Premier league last five games table:

Liverpool DDLDL
Everton WWWLW

Joe McMahon
166 Posted 22/01/2021 at 19:16:58
Derek, absolutely. Should have been WWWWW, but for West Ham at home.
Paul Birmingham
167 Posted 22/01/2021 at 19:28:48
Well in Phil, let's hope there's some of these pubs still going, for when times get better.

Christine Foster
168 Posted 22/01/2021 at 20:54:51
Dave 152* mention of the Duttons brought a big smile to my face as they were big friends of my mum and dad whout had The Wedding House in Pownall Square off Tithebarn street for so many years. All those characters like Barney Riley with his flat cap at the end of the bar who would sing and laugh the night away.. (the Duttons screwed the men's toilet door shut with several inside, glued the glasses to the tables, gave me a 50p tip that had superglue on it...
169 Posted 22/01/2021 at 21:52:43
Christine (168), yes great times and great characters, Frankie and Denny Dutton, Johnny Cairns all gone but the memories stay, Christie Dutton still here but getting older like all of us, The Wedding House was a good pub, bet you could go on and on with stories from your time working there, and I bet you were busy, it was always packed the times I went there, most weekends, a sign of a well run pub.
Christine Foster
170 Posted 23/01/2021 at 03:32:27
Knew them all, Dave, sad they have gone, but the place was alive most times, remember Denny going down the cellar (trap door in centre of bar) to help Dad change a barrel after hours. Not the steel kegs but the large wooden barrels, you have to tip, tap and drain the new barrel and let it settle. You would draw off about a gallon in a bucket to let it settle..

Denny drank the bucket dry and never came back up till about 3am.. only to find three policemen facing him in the bar (they came in for a pint..) His response? "I didn't know that tunnel came out in the Cheapside (where the Bridwell was)..." Good times..

As an aside, that cellar was haunted, we would throw the cat down there and it would fly up again..
When it was sold off by the brewery, it was bought and used as flats, but a little story, when the builders were renovating the snug and door into the ladies, they removed the ceiling and were rewarded by a bag of gold sovereigns dropping into their lap, if only mum and dad knew... Another lifetime, Dave... another lifetime.

171 Posted 23/01/2021 at 20:53:12
Christine (170), never stuck for a word Denny, even in trying circumstances, lived not far from The Goblin, off Islington, later in his life and made a lively pub even livelier, he could do a good rendition of Gracie Fields!!! Another lifetime indeed Christine and a funnier one.
Ernie Baywood
172 Posted 24/01/2021 at 05:50:47
Veeering back to the offside discussion... what do we make of Villa's goal by Watkins?

Cross comes in. Watkins may have been offside but apparently a cross played straight towards him leaves him inactive until it actually reaches him.

Defender stretches to clear away from Watkins and in that moment... apparently resets the whole situation by making a natural footballing movement at the ball.

I should point out that Watkins may have, in fact, been onside. It looked very close. But it wasn't checked because it didn't matter. He was onside regardless.

It's nonsense isn't it?

173 Posted 26/01/2021 at 21:19:44
There is another offside decision in tonight's game between WBA and Man. City which is beyond belief, the lines person puts the flag far too late on an earlier decision and the WBA players stop playing, City carry on playing and score, the referee gives offside, then VAR gets it's nose into it and gives a goal, you couldn't make it up, the lines person is having a nightmare, she's making nearly as many mistakes with the flag as Sterling is with the ball for City. If there were substitutes for officials having a bad game this lady wouldn't be coming on for the second half.
Christine Foster
174 Posted 26/01/2021 at 21:39:46
Too late, Uefa have now clarified the rule which means the Man City goal v Aston Villa would not have stood, interfering with play.

"Where a player in an offside position immediately impacts on an opponent who has deliberately played the ball, the match officials should prioritise challenging an opponent for the ball, and thus the offside offence of 'interfering with an opponent by impacting on the opponent's ability to play the ball' should be penalised."

175 Posted 26/01/2021 at 21:41:35
Just looking at our fixtures and it looks like Man Utd on the Monday night, then Spurs in the cup, two days later on the Wednesday night?
Kieran Kinsella
176 Posted 26/01/2021 at 21:45:28
Tony

That's not good. Spurs have an extra day off and the benefit of a home game versus West Brom before the cup game. That might be a really good week for Allan and co. to recover from injury.

177 Posted 26/01/2021 at 21:52:51
They play on the Saturday before Kieran, so will be well fresher, but after us they've got Man City, then a European game, so who knows?

I can't believe Everton aren't going to sign at least one forward though, because the amount of games we are going to be playing in such a short space of time, might just be a little bit to much, considering we have only really got two forwards in our squad.