Allen Rodgers
1 Posted 08/01/2021 at 19:11:14
Klopp constantly moans about too many games but then names a very strong side vs Aston Villa's kids.
Justin Doone
2 Posted 08/01/2021 at 20:15:04
If our neighbours somehow manage to get safely through to the next round maybe they will just be handed the trophy.
Rob Halligan
3 Posted 08/01/2021 at 20:28:43
Hahahahahahaha 1-1.
4 Posted 08/01/2021 at 20:30:29
Let the gnashing of the choppers begin!

Klopp out!

David Connor
5 Posted 09/01/2021 at 14:01:57
Regardless of the result, this squad is absolute dog shit. Need to offload at least 8 1st teamers. We will see next season how Ancelotti is fairing when it's his squad. Make no mistake, we won't get into Europe with these turds, they are garbage. And that's being kind. We will have to give most of them away. What an expensive rabble we have. Fucking embarassing.
Mike Powell
6 Posted 09/01/2021 at 17:56:16
Awful performance, why can't they pass forward to a blue shirt, they seem to pass to there players ok, infact there good at that. I know were through to next round, Rotherham will feel hard done by, most of our second string are no where good enough, let's hope we bring in some better quality players this month
David Pearl
7 Posted 09/01/2021 at 19:27:14
Shame we don't have players like Calvert-Lewin, Allan, Digne and Richarlison to all come back in ain't it.

Anyway, come on Newcastle. I like to watch Arsenal Fan TV after they lose.

Patrick McFarlane
8 Posted 09/01/2021 at 19:27:31
Is it just me but I thought the Arsenal player's studs were up in his tackle on the Newcastle player and therefore a straight red was merited, however, the pundits and the official after consulting VAR think differently.
David Pearl
9 Posted 09/01/2021 at 19:35:44
Patrick, would you know if the MLS or other leagues are having the same trouble as us? Maybe we just can't get the staff?
Patrick McFarlane
10 Posted 09/01/2021 at 19:38:53
David #9,

I don't think it's the personnel, per se... I think the officials are so frightened of getting it wrong when it involves one of the media faves, they bottle their decisions, if given the opportunity, to avoid the media outcry.

Gerry Quinn
12 Posted 10/01/2021 at 14:46:31
Crawley 2 up against Leeds - UNREAL - come on Marine, go 1 better later
13 Posted 10/01/2021 at 14:50:12
And what a cracking first goal that was for Crawley.
14 Posted 10/01/2021 at 14:57:03
Three up they are now.
15 Posted 10/01/2021 at 14:59:16
Just shows there are NO easy games in the cup.
Gerry Quinn
16 Posted 10/01/2021 at 15:12:34
BBC saying next round they want Chorley v Crawley or Crawley v Chorley!
Jason Wilkinson
17 Posted 10/01/2021 at 15:17:30
Newcastle, Villa, Leeds, West Brom & Palace. All fell at the 1st.
John McFarlane Snr
18 Posted 10/01/2021 at 15:49:37
Hi all, I have just listened to part of the Crawley/Leeds game and I am made up for Crawley. I have thought for a number of years that the so-called 'Big Clubs' have devalued the FA Cup competition, and I include Everton in that group. Those clubs field weakened teams and some, (not enough, in my opinion) pay the price.

But the biggest losers are the supporters of the 'Big Clubs' who are denied the opportunity of reaching Wembley. Leeds United fans in today's case, and the supporters of the 'Lesser Clubs' whose youngsters are denied the chance to see the top name players in action.

I'm afraid that the magic of the FA Cup is quickly losing the 'Magic' ingredient.

19 Posted 10/01/2021 at 16:00:12
Totally agree with that post John Mc, because it's the most legendary competition in world football, with an absolutely fantastic concept, but it seems that Money is much more important than glory, and this greatest of competitions has suffered greatly because of this.

Everton haven't won a cup for going on 26 years, I'd say at least 40% of our great supporters have never seen us witness this glory, but if you done a poll on finishing 4th or winning the cup on ToffeeWeb, then more people would vote for the champions lge?

20 Posted 10/01/2021 at 16:01:02
I'm wearing my Marine AFC scarf and getting warmed up for the game by watching the replay of Crawley's inspirational display. I can't wait for this Marine moment.
21 Posted 10/01/2021 at 16:57:07
Congratulations to Jose for giving Marine a genuine chance to win this... by naming Joe Hart in goal.
Paul Birmingham
22 Posted 10/01/2021 at 17:09:19
Common Marine!
23 Posted 10/01/2021 at 17:12:02
11 minutes and still 0-0!
25 Posted 10/01/2021 at 17:20:11
MARINE HIT THE CROSSBAR!
26 Posted 10/01/2021 at 17:22:10
And Oliver bottles a pen appeal!
Jason Wilkinson
27 Posted 10/01/2021 at 17:23:02
Dele Alli cup tied.
28 Posted 10/01/2021 at 17:24:45
Ah, well. Too bad.
30 Posted 10/01/2021 at 17:35:01
0-3 now. The fantasy ended when Marine hit the crossbar and woke Spurs up.
Peter Mills
31 Posted 10/01/2021 at 17:36:47
It's a long game ahead now.
Bill Griffiths
32 Posted 10/01/2021 at 17:45:49
A good dream while it lasted, Peter, but it was always going to be a big ask.
33 Posted 10/01/2021 at 17:46:55
Pete, are you watching from somebody's garden?
Peter Mills
35 Posted 10/01/2021 at 18:14:25
No, I'm in a bubble with my son, so watching from there.

The match is proving to be a harsh reality, but still a fantastic day for the Club.

36 Posted 10/01/2021 at 18:20:56
16-year-old kid scores on his Spurs debut.

And the €100 million man comes on for a runabout at Rossett Park.

Bale probably hasn't played at a park this small since he was 15.

Great quip from the commentator: "From Madrid to Marine!"

Chris Williams
37 Posted 10/01/2021 at 18:27:26
Apparently they have James Joyce and David Lynch playing for them, and are managed by Neil Young, who gets everywhere these days!
38 Posted 10/01/2021 at 18:36:50
Yep, Chris, and James Joyce just got a caution for a bad tackle. It was A Painful Case.
Chris Williams
39 Posted 10/01/2021 at 18:47:28
Also sadly, a case of After The Goal Rush.

But good luck to them and they've banked a few Bob too, and a few good stories to tell about the game.

40 Posted 10/01/2021 at 18:48:15
Well in, Marine. You have done yourselves proud.
Jason Wilkinson
41 Posted 10/01/2021 at 18:52:43
Gareth Bale must be well peed off. So close to West Lancs and it's closed.
Brian Murray
42 Posted 10/01/2021 at 19:00:53
Eze of QPRgetting investigated for breaking COVID rules. So what was Spit the Dog doing at Marine today?
Peter Mills
43 Posted 10/01/2021 at 20:34:00
A bit deflated, if only that shot had dipped a little. The gulf in class was huge.

But a great day for the club, it was a massive operation for them, the money will keep them alive.

Andy Crooks
44 Posted 10/01/2021 at 20:39:18
Don't be deflated, Pete. Today was a grand ending to a mighty journey. Those lads, the club and the supporters have got memories to cherish.
45 Posted 10/01/2021 at 20:39:40
That's why the FA Cup has always been more than just a competition, Peter. Loads of clubs might not take it seriously enough because the money is in the Premier League, but what a lifeline it can give to lower- and non-league clubs every season. It makes me very sad, the way teams neglect the greatest club competition in the world nowadays mate. I hope you had a great day anyway, Peter!
Tony Everan
46 Posted 10/01/2021 at 20:45:17
Peter, no need for disappointment, the whole club deserves massive credit. A great story in dark times. Marine have had a magnificent cup run and done Crosby proud. I grew up round the corner and it was an absolute buzz seeing all the attention. The money will come in handy too !
Jeff Armstrong
48 Posted 10/01/2021 at 20:51:56
Brian, #42, it seems the stay at home message is only for us plebs.

So come on, Carragher, tell us all why you had to be at College Raad today! And why the BBC focussed on him in the stands but didn't call him out live on air.

49 Posted 10/01/2021 at 20:59:49
Peter (43), Mourinho paid them a great compliment by playing enough first teamers at the start of the game to make absolutely sure there would be no upset in this game. The Marine players couldn't match them for fitness which was apparent after about 30 minutes and that was a massive difference, but the Marine lads stuck at it, never lost their composure and didn't disgrace themselves.

I liked the two full backs especially James Joyce, has he always played part time, he always tried to use the ball and I made him Marine's best player on the day.

As you say, Peter, it was a great day for Marine and Crosby to look back on and the money earned today and on the cup run will ensure that there will be no money worries for a couple of seasons.

Peter Mills
50 Posted 10/01/2021 at 22:14:06
Dave, and others.

Joyce is an excellent full back. His counterpart Josh Solomon-Davis is a very good, speedy over-lapping right back with a great recovery tackle, but it wasn't his game today. The two centre backs, Miley and Raven, are a very solid pairing. Which is why I was alarmed when I saw Marine were going for 5 at the back, shades of Davie Moyes bringing on a 3rd centre back to defend a 1-0 lead, causing chaos as nobody knew who was going to attack the ball, who would step back.

But in truth, the gulf between the teams was huge. What a great cup run, through 7 rounds, and a financial reward which I understand is worth something like players' wages for 3 years.

David Pearl
51 Posted 10/01/2021 at 23:34:35
Carra stepped up and sponsored the game, l'm sure precautions were made.

Anyway, bothered me a lot more with Klopp being there. He didn't even stay in the same spot.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

52 Posted 10/01/2021 at 00:17:23
Nothing to be despondent about Peter. An absolutely fantastic run to reach the 3rd round and a good display today. So frustrating this damn plague denied the fans being present live for most of the games.

I shared the broadcast of the game with my Brazilian missus, explaining the history of the cup and comparing Marine to our neighbourhood team playing Flamengo at home. She adored seeing the terrace houses backing on to the 'stadium' with people making a party of it in their backyards.

She laughed out loud when I shared with her info contained in the commentary: the orderly numbers on the fencing separating the houses from the pitch. It is to help the club identify the house they need to knock on to retrieve the ball when launched into someone's backyard!

Brilliant!

53 Posted 11/01/2021 at 00:49:26
Terrific article on ESPN.com nicely captures the spirit of the game:

Peter Mills
54 Posted 11/01/2021 at 11:00:16
I leave my last word on the game to David Wotherspoon, Marine FC Club Historian and supporter for over 70 years, from his match programme notes:-

“Of course it (the Cup run) will come to an end and we will be back to dank, rainy Tuesdays at Brighouse. But we will enjoy that too. I only hope this period of Marine in the sun (not the Sun, it is barred) will open eyes to what non-league football is all about. It is a group of people coming together to enjoy something special. It is about involvement and participation. It encourages families and makes lifelong friendships

When those raucous young men who do boost the team with their support reach my age they will sip their pints and say “Remember the day we played Tottenham Hotspur”.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

55 Posted 11/01/2021 at 19:16:44
Nicceee! United v Liverpool to take out a possible rival in the draw.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

56 Posted 11/01/2021 at 19:18:07
All the other top clubs drawn out already and we've avoided them...
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

57 Posted 11/01/2021 at 19:19:52
Last game out of the hat.

Home to struggling Championship side Sheffield Wednesday.

I'll settle for that.

Ian Horan
58 Posted 11/01/2021 at 19:22:57
The gods are smiling on us.
Brian Murray
59 Posted 11/01/2021 at 19:26:33
I went to the third replay I think in 88 at Hillsboro, we won 5-0 – all goals in the first half. Our coach broke down, I missed all the goals. I'm still waiting for the promised refund from County Road!
Rob Halligan
60 Posted 11/01/2021 at 19:27:28
Spurs or Wycombe at home in Round 5.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

61 Posted 11/01/2021 at 19:28:51
And another home draw in the 5th round v Wycombe. They'll see off Spurs, won't they..?
62 Posted 11/01/2021 at 19:29:32
Similar 4th round draw to the last round. Struggling Championship team from South Yorkshire followed by Wycombe in the 5th round.
Rob Halligan
63 Posted 11/01/2021 at 19:31:44
At least all games are settled on the day. Don't want Spurs or Wycombe coming and just playing for a draw and getting us back down there.
Craig Walker
64 Posted 11/01/2021 at 19:48:36
I saw the 4th round draw. Have they done the 5th round as well with us getting Wycombe or Spurs? I missed that.
Ray Roche
65 Posted 11/01/2021 at 20:02:25
Yes Craig, both draws on the same day. I wonder if this may become the norm? And will we see teams seeded to protect the money-making Sky six? Just thinking. 🤔
Alex Gray
66 Posted 11/01/2021 at 20:02:41
Happy with Sheffield Wednesday. I've got a little step brother in Sheffield who supports them and I've always had a soft spot for them. Fingers crossed we make it a bit easier for ourselves this time!
Andy Crooks
67 Posted 11/01/2021 at 20:13:42
This is, for sentimental reasons, the very draw I wanted. I would love to have seen it live.
68 Posted 11/01/2021 at 20:19:50
Andy (67), Everton v Sheffield Wed, Wembley 1966, the day you became one of us?
Thomas Richards
69 Posted 11/01/2021 at 20:27:58
Fuckin glory hunter.
Danny Baily
70 Posted 11/01/2021 at 20:38:07
Happy with Wednesday at home.

The rest of the draw not so much. If we're going to win this, we'll need a lot of luck, and most of it will have to come in the draw.

We need more ties like Liverpool vs Man Utd and the occasional big upset.

Mike Doyle
71 Posted 11/01/2021 at 20:42:31
Tony #45,

I must own up to being one of those who, nowadays, struggle to get excited about the FA Cup. I used to love it – and really looked forward to the drama of the draw (though I preferred it when it was on radio).

I attended all our finals between Watford in '84 and Man Utd in '95. These days, I'm fairly indifferent until or unless the blues reach the semi-final.

Cup Final day – starting at breakfast time on both BBC & ITV – was a highlight of the year.

Perhaps it was ‘Cup Final It's a Knockout” – with family favourite Stuart Hall – that added the family fun element that these days is missing? Not sure why but it doesn't seem very exciting or important any more. Any chance they might bring back Uncle Stuart?

Jeff Armstrong
72 Posted 11/01/2021 at 20:57:49
Uncle Stuart Hall!! Didn't he get done for being a nonce?
73 Posted 11/01/2021 at 21:00:26
I recalled the epic Middlesborough saga a few days ago and I remember a similar one with Sheffield Wednesday in 1988. Thankfully we won't have to go through that again!

We played them New Years Day 1988 in the league and had to get up at a ridiculous time to catch the coach from the pick up point on the industrial estate between Speke and Hunts Cross for an early kick off.

Then we were back there for the 3rd round about a week later, but it took a fair few replays to finally get through! It felt like we only played Sheffield Wednesday that January.

74 Posted 11/01/2021 at 21:04:14
It was one of the happiest days of my life when we beat Watford, Mike, but I was also gutted I never got to see the pre match build up, that used to start around 9am on both the BBC and ITV, and was definitely part of the great FA Cup ritual!

What a day it used to be, I can still remember Coventry doing a detour before the game to go past the church where two of the hotel guests were getting married, because one of the players said he'd never lost a game in which he'd gone past a church and seen a wedding, and everyone else agreed.

It brought them luck (Keith Houchens header, is still my favourite cup final goal, excluding Everton) and they gate crashed the wedding reception later in the night, which must have been a joyous occasion.

I remember robbing the replica FA Cup, the night before we beat Man Utd, when Fulham who were skint, were having a fundraiser in our hotel. I sucked them in, asking them if I could just get a feel of the famous trophy, to give Everton a bit of luck tomorrow, and when they agreed telling me to be careful, I was already off into the other room, and another Evertonian, was already robbing the cup off me!

Great memories, which is what it's all about, especially when you win that famous trophy. 🤞

Mike Doyle
75 Posted 11/01/2021 at 21:06:58
Jeff #72] Are you confusing him with Didgeridoo-player Rolf Harris?
Jeff Armstrong
76 Posted 11/01/2021 at 21:59:08
Nah don't think so, he was one of the so called (by me) “local news 2 “ along with Fred the weatherman!

Rolf never did It's a knockout, he did do Two little boys though.

Tom Bowers
77 Posted 11/01/2021 at 22:10:35
I was there in 1966 when the butcher from Wolverhampton (Referee Jack Taylor) did his best to deny us but the boys got the job done in the end. Never forgot the copper chasing Eddie Cavanagh.

A wonderful day out – unlike two years later against Albion.

Sheffield Wednesday again and they may be just as tough as Rotherham, being close to them in the relegation zone.

Having said that, we could have been in tough against Marine the way we have performed in some games this last 12 months.

78 Posted 11/01/2021 at 22:17:13
I still love the cups, Mike.

I was at the Milk Cup and FA Cup Finals in 84. Beating Watford and watching us lift a trophy for the first time in my lifetime was magical.

I did get concerned when I watched my father trying to scale the Wembley fence thinking that if he gets on the pitch, what happens to me (a then 12-year-old recovering from a broken leg and not long out of plaster)!

Whenever I watch the footage, I can still see and point him out to my son!!

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

79 Posted 11/01/2021 at 22:17:59
Penny just dropped with me.

Peter Mills denied a dream fifth round tie.

Could have been Everton v Marine!

Mike Doyle
80 Posted 12/01/2021 at 09:37:29
Tony & Danny.
For me - like many blues - the best ‘cup experience' ever was the 85 semi vs Bayern followed by the trip to Rotterdam for the Cup winners cup final.
The whole experience was fantastic and I think that was the start of my losing interest in the FA Cup. Away games at the likes of Shrewsbury and even the trip to Wembley seemed pretty tame in comparison to the European experience.
I wonder if the TV companies could help by making it more of an experience as it was in the 70s & 80s - rather than just showing the game.
Peter Mills
81 Posted 12/01/2021 at 10:42:55
Jay#79, the thought had occurred to me. It would have been the game from hell for me, and the live forum would have been fun as the Blues conceded a late own goal to go out of the Cup!
Andy Crooks
82 Posted 12/01/2021 at 18:36:32
Spot on, Dave @ 68.
Honest, Thomas, I became a blue when we were two down!! Actually my dad was a Sheff Wed supporter so it was an eight year olds minor act of rebellion. Funny how times change; I could never pick a red as my favourite player but my dad thought Tony Currie was one of the best players he had ever seen.
Thomas Richards
83 Posted 12/01/2021 at 18:39:14
I know Andy.My little joke mate.

If any glory hunter chose Everton they would be sorely disappointed.

Andy Crooks
84 Posted 12/01/2021 at 19:03:32
I know that, Thomas. By the way I like your Ballybofey story on the Sligo thread. How about writing an article about that trip? Also, I was meant to go to that match but can't remember why I didn't or the score.
Sligo are a great club. My brother in law and late father travelled to see Crusaders play at Sligo. They were treated like kings.