Rob Halligan
1 Posted 19/12/2020 at 23:42:15
Should Brighton beat Sheff Utd tomorrow, then arsenal will drop into the bottom five. We've been in that situation and you really do begin to worry about the situation. Alan Shearer on MOTD tonight even thinks it's quite feasible Arsenal could face the stark reality of relegation. Nah, it's not possible, is it?
Patrick McFarlane
2 Posted 19/12/2020 at 23:45:20
Rob #1
I agree that for many of the Arsenal players and the manager it's a different kind of pressure when you find yourself in the lower reaches. But I don't believe that the Gunners are in serious trouble. yet. I imagine they'll ship a few out in January and add Tosun to save them :)

Jason Wilkinson
3 Posted 19/12/2020 at 00:10:37
How on earth did we lose at St James' park? They are a dreadful side.
Palace threw the towel in at 0-3.
City don't scare me one bit. Saints are a decent side. Not top 6 though. There wasnt much quality on show at St Mary's. We will find out soon whether my optimism is misplaced.
9 from 9 should turn into 15 from 15 for me.
It would be very Everton to give Sheff U their 1st win of the season though.
John Pierce
4 Posted 20/12/2020 at 00:45:25
I've plenty of Arsenal mates. They've got the past the wailing and gnashing of teeth stage. They've been a mess for years. Arteta stays in job for the majority of them, partly because it's time to pick a horse and secondly no world class manager will touch them, Kronke won't invest on the scale they want.
5 Posted 20/12/2020 at 15:44:35
Kronke got his prize with the Rams( not Derby). Gunner fans may be in for a domestic existence for a while. Arsene looking good historically.

Elsewhere in London, this latest performance clearly shows Spurs intent for a title run.

Patrick McFarlane
6 Posted 20/12/2020 at 16:34:38
Dale #5,

I haven't watched the Spurs v Leicester game; however, the Foxes triumphed by two goals to nil, overtaking Everton in the process, which shows just how important and significant our win at Leicester was.

I meant to add that Dele Alli wasn't included in Spurs' matchday squad; however, I still find it unlikely that he'll be at Goodison Park in the New Year... more likely to go abroad I would think.

Michael Kenrick
7 Posted 20/12/2020 at 16:37:29
Uh-oh...

We might need to be on song from the kick-off on Wednesday! Two goals for McTominay inside the first 3 mins against Leeds.

Patrick McFarlane
8 Posted 20/12/2020 at 16:43:39
That's a bit of a pain, MK, as we could have done with Man Utd being involved in a difficult match today, but given they're two-nil up so quickly they can ease themselves to victory without too much-expended energy. Plus it puts them closer to us in the Premier League.
Patrick McFarlane
9 Posted 20/12/2020 at 16:56:46
Former Everton player Steven Naismith's dream of lifting a trophy with Hearts ended following a penalty shoot-out defeat by Celtic.
Paul Birmingham
10 Posted 20/12/2020 at 17:01:19
I watched this game and I was wanting Hearts to win, but they missed their 4th and 5th penalties.

It will take a bit of pressure off Celtic, but there's a long way to go, this season, for them.

Rob Halligan
11 Posted 20/12/2020 at 17:14:30
4-0 puts man Utd above us. Leeds pull one back now 4-1, so back up to third.
Will Mabon
12 Posted 20/12/2020 at 17:17:03
Not yet, Rob - Man Utd now have a higher goals-scored, so we need Leeds to score again...
Rob Halligan
13 Posted 20/12/2020 at 17:19:20
Cheers Will. I was only looking at the goal difference.
14 Posted 20/12/2020 at 17:41:12
Play open football and Man Utd have got the players to destroy any team, and this is also probably why they have got such a fantastic away record at the minute.

So backs to the wall on Wednesday: fight, graft, run, tackle, deny them space, be hard to play against and hit them on the counter whenever possible!

Patrick McFarlane
15 Posted 20/12/2020 at 17:43:12
Darren Griffith's in a tweet reminds Evertonians that it was 141 years ago today, St Peter's were thrashed 6-0 on Stanley Park by a team playing their very first game since changing their name from St Domingo FC to Everton

Darren has denied that he was there to report the game!

St Peter's vs Everton

Will Mabon
16 Posted 20/12/2020 at 17:44:43
It's incredible, Tony - seven wins, all coming from behind, all with three goals scored. We have to be careful. Not scared, but careful...
Will Mabon
17 Posted 20/12/2020 at 17:46:39
Patrick - free admission too.
Patrick McFarlane
18 Posted 20/12/2020 at 17:48:54
Will #16,

It's just a pity that the game won't be played in front of a full-house on Wednesday night as that may have helped Everton to swing the odds in their favour. Everton can beat Man Utd on the night but it may have to be done, as Tony says, by keeping them at bay and perhaps even relying on the dreaded penalty shoot-out.

19 Posted 20/12/2020 at 17:51:23
Will - but no Z-Cars.
Rob Halligan
20 Posted 20/12/2020 at 18:01:53
Well I think this game is over. Currently 6-1.
21 Posted 20/12/2020 at 18:03:11
And even when they are winning 5-1, they still have cheats in their line-up!

Get a grip referees, you're getting the piss taken out of you every week by these cheating bastards (said in my best Brummie accent) – it's shite!

22 Posted 20/12/2020 at 18:09:22
That's a brilliant find, that programme Patrick mate.
Patrick McFarlane
23 Posted 20/12/2020 at 18:16:14
Tony #22

I can't take credit for it as I think it was Darren Griffiths who also linked that 'Notice' for Everton's first game.

Talking of great finds, the Grand Old Team's "Watch classic matches again' thread has some rarely seen footage of Everton games from the past – the defeat of Sheffield Wednesday in 1970 being the latest where Harvey made a wonderful pass to Johnny Morrisey to score the winner 6 minutes from time.

Will Mabon
24 Posted 20/12/2020 at 18:35:22
I watched much of that second half at Man Utd. Leeds basically kamikaze in approach to concede that way, but still think it will be a tough 'un on Wednesday.

Z-Cars could be the difference...

Will Mabon
25 Posted 20/12/2020 at 18:35:55
Is there a crowd at all on Wednesday, it being a cup game?
Rob Halligan
26 Posted 20/12/2020 at 18:39:53
Yeah, Will. Still the 2,000.
Rob Halligan
27 Posted 20/12/2020 at 18:46:46
So we are 4th at Christmas. Blimey, I think we'd have all accepted that at the start of the season.

We could easily get back up to 2nd on Boxing Day, as Leicester City play Man Utd at home. A draw there and we beat Sheffield Utd and we go 2nd again.

COYB FTRS.

Will Mabon
28 Posted 20/12/2020 at 18:48:45
Thanks, Rob. Makes sense, but you never know...
Patrick McFarlane
29 Posted 20/12/2020 at 18:56:02
Rob,

We most certainly would have taken our current position at this time of year before a ball had been kicked. I notice that the two postponed matches from the start of the season involving Man Utd at Burnley and Man City vs Aston Villa have yet to be scheduled, which means that Everton will have to open a gap with those clubs, else those two having a game in hand could prove decisive in the later stages of the season – assuming we are still in and around the top places at that time.

I still think our best hope of Europe is via the League Cup.

Rob Halligan
30 Posted 20/12/2020 at 19:21:33
Sam's magic at West Brom clearly not working. Villa lead 1-0 after 5 minutes.
31 Posted 20/12/2020 at 19:21:46
And he's back! Tuned in, watching West Brom v Aston Villa now. He who should never be mentioned as an Everton manager is back in the dugout.

Not a great start!

Will Mabon
32 Posted 20/12/2020 at 20:52:42
And VAR doin' its thang again...
Bill Gienapp
33 Posted 20/12/2020 at 21:19:15
I'd just as soon see West Brom go down and put an end to Sam's overblown rep once and for all. Knowing him, he'll resign before they're mathematically doomed and then go around claiming he's still never been relegated.
Joe McMahon
34 Posted 20/12/2020 at 21:30:06
Say what you like but I prefer Sam to the vile Koeman. Sam did get Everton to 8th in just a few months without Lukaku.

Yes, he saddled us with Tosun, I don't know how much he was involved in that, but he certainly didn't leave as much damage as Koeman and Walsh did.

35 Posted 21/12/2020 at 21:14:34
Agreed Patrick, I'd say PSG but don't really keep up with the other league acquisitions. Hopefully there is a shakeup there and Gana makes noises about coming back. And perhaps I'm being tight about the Saha and Pienaar business but I just do not want to be inheriting Spurs players for a while.
36 Posted 21/12/2020 at 21:31:36
Watching our other old manager's team, West Ham, and it looks like he's acquired some bulletproof vests, because his team are really having a go tonight
37 Posted 21/12/2020 at 22:01:27
Tony (36), they were the best team for long periods of the game but couldn't find the target, I thought 3-0 really flattered Chelsea.
Brian Murray
38 Posted 21/12/2020 at 22:38:20
Very sad that, in our lifetime, Moyes and Allardyce are among the managers we have had — and we wonder why we never win anything? Carlo is not on the same planet to them.
Barry Thompson
39 Posted 22/12/2020 at 07:28:25
Think I'll reserve my judgement and comparisons to previous incumbents and how good Carlo is for Everton when we manage to actually win something. Until he does, he could become the most decorated manager in Everton's history to achieve the same result.