Michael Kenrick
1 Posted 14/11/2020 at 09:12:59
This is a strange one for me, Neil. I have enough trouble dealing with the real world... this parallel alternative universe stuff would send me over the edge if I gave it more than a passing glance.

But a fusion of '70s retro music, football and fantasy would be a winner all round for many of our punters on here. These seem to be the perennial themes of the various Rants and Reflections that constitute Neil's blog at Samtimoniuos.com, where this piece first appeared.

Karl Masters
2 Posted 15/11/2020 at 23:47:35
I like it!

Although Gordon Lee did okay at Everton for a couple of years, and when Bond got his big break at Man City a few years later, that also ended disastrously after a promising start. In fact, very disastrously as City were relegated in 1983, the season Bond was sacked.

So it's hard to say if Bond would have done better.

Frankly though, it's the other man from East Anglia we should have got! Bobby Robson was coming to us from Ipswich in January 1977, but did a U-turn after somebody at Goodison leaked his imminent appointment to the Daily Mail, before Robson had told the Ipswich Chairman in person of his decision.

Bungling Boardroom is not a new phenomenon at Everton, believe me.

Patrick McFarlane
3 Posted 16/11/2020 at 00:34:22
I might have stopped watching Everton had John 'bloody' Bond been given the Everton job – thinking about it, that may have been no bad thing: more hair, more money, less angst... On the other hand, no title celebrations, no annual trips to Wembley, no fantastic memories or finding great people who support the blues.

If you're gonna write an alternate reality, surely you can do better than Bond? And surely we would have gone on to dominate football domestically and in Europe, whomever we appointed (Bond apart), whilst witnessing our neighbours playing Tranmere in the derby deep down in the lower leagues.

David Ellis
4 Posted 16/11/2020 at 02:38:03
Thanks, Neil, I enjoyed that. I thought Gordon Lee did a pretty good job and Bond got found out at a bigger club when he went to Man City. Managers back then were generally laughably amateurish. He had an affair with the physio at City, I re-call, and his life generally imploded.

Bobby Robson would have been a great manager for us I'm sure – particularly if he could have bought half the Ipswich side with him – Cooper, Burley, Beattie (who got badly injured and never really played again), Osman, Butcher, Mills, Whymark, Mertens, Wark, Brazil, Mariner, Gates and another Dutchman (Thyssen) best side I saw at Goodison in the late '70s.

Derek Thomas
5 Posted 16/11/2020 at 07:01:52
Neil; a creditable entry in the Harry Turtledove-esque realm of alternate football. I don't care which Bond it was, James, John, Brooke, Basildon or Premium, if he beats the rs in the cup, final he has my vote.
John Burns
6 Posted 17/11/2020 at 12:30:37
Nice one, Neil!
Karl Masters
7 Posted 17/11/2020 at 17:49:04
Derek,

Gordon Lee presided over a famous Cup victory against the RS. January 1981 – the Varadi (meat pie in the face) derby!

And, of course, he was in charge when we were robbed in the Clive Thomas semi-final derby.

His overall record against them wasn't too shabby: 3 draws and1 defeat at Anfield and 2 wins, 1 draw and 2 defeats at Goodison. All 3 defeats only by the odd goal.