Watford 1 - 1 Everton

Everton made just one change for the trip south to Vicarage Road, Barry back in for Cleverley. Leighton Baines, in trouble with the manager during the week for his 'misinterpreted' comments about a lack of chemistry in the side, retained his place at left back.

Funes Mori, who played superbly for Argentina against Chile in the international break, started another game on the Everton bench as Martinez stuck with Stones in the back four, but retained some attacking promise behind Lukaku, who had scored 18 Premier League goals this season but would be unable to add to that total with a glaring miss at the death. The teams remained tied after a goal apiece from defensive lapses by each side just before the break.

Everton kicked off and looked bright as they moved the ball forward but Deulofeu could not get past the defender. Coleman and Deulofeu combined nicely but Lukaku could not hold the ball.

Some nice football down the left saw Lukaku feed Barkley on the overlap but his cross was not quite strong enough to reach the incoming Deulofeu. McCarthy was fouled, and Coleman tried to get around their left back who seemed to foul him. Deeney was next to foul, followed by another Capoue hit on Barkley and picked up the first yellow card. From the free-kick, Deulofeu won the first corner, clipped over by the Spaniard well enough but defended away.

Verado cut in and put a tremendous shot in on goal, curling toward the corner but Robles pulled off a great save to touch it around the post. Similar at the other end, a fabulous strike by Deulofeu turned behind for a corner by Gomez, but then Deulofeu got himself offside from the corner second ball.

Watford looked lively enough when they got the ball but Everton and especially John Stones were defending well. The ball got up to Lukaku whose shot from a distance was very wayward. Ighalo could not get past Jagielka and Lennon and the corner saw some worrying head tennis in front of Robles before it was cleared, Stones kicking it long and out of play.

Deulofeu ran at the Watford defence and git in a random cross well away from any blue shirts and the turnover saw Watord get forward, Watson firing straight at Robles. Lukaku won a corner on the Everton left that Baines curled over but it was cleared and Baines was called offside.

Lennon got in a decent cross that evaded Lukaku and Lennon coming in behind the big man could not control the ball. Deulofeu went on a great central run, ending frustratingly when he stood on the ball. Capoue was all over Barkley, and gave away a free-kick that Baines delivered well but it was met by a defender. Barry, very forward, laid back a great ball for Barkley but his shot was too close to Gomes.

Stones seemed under instruction NOT to play the ball out and it was forcing hoofball from his teammates that led to the ball coming straight back at them. Everton were becoming far far too slow to bring the ball forward, and Stones decided to take more control but Deulofeu once again tricked himself out of possession.

McCarthy got a yellow fr a nothing tackle that actually won the ball. McCarthy was then called for a questionable handball that Jurado powered into the wall but Capoue volleyed in a shot that was deflected for a corner that Holebas headed wide.

McCarthy was then very alert to jump on a loose ball and slot neatly past Gomes to give Everton the lead just before half-time. But John Stones forced Robles to concede a needless corner and Watford somehow scored at the far post, the ball going on off Coleman. A terrible goal to give away and Stones will be questioned again.

Guedioura replaced Behrami for the hosts and almost setup Ighalo, who was called ofside. At the other end, Barkley won a corner that Coleman headed on. But in the second phase, Barkley fired in for Lukaku who seemed to have a half-chance that did not come off.

A more lively attack down the left saw Lennon and then Deulofeu play good balls before a deflected shot won a corner but Watford broke at pace and Barry needed to be strong in defence.

The game was pretty open, Lennon running through and firing at Gomes, Lukaku failing to get his foot on the rebound. And then straight back up the Everton end, where Jagielka was a little strong on Ighalo, giving up a dangerous free-kick that saw Halebas strike the wall.

Deulofeu made a tremendous run but Lukaku tripped at the critical moment and a great opportunity came to nothing. Deeney won a soft free-kick that Holebas walloped well over the Everton goal.

A surprise change was Barkley off for Cleverley, with Deulofeu reaching his fitness limit. The football in large part had been rather sloppy at times form both sides, Everton playing with enough spirit and desire this week but lacking the required fitness to get the better of Watford.

Coleman was next to go on a great run but his cross was picked out of the air by Gomes before Lukaku could get close. From the other side, Baines curled in a good cross but Lukaku could not make the space. But Lukaku did well to set up Lennon with a nice backheel and it forced Gomes to make the save, Cleverley firing in a decent enough corner but McCarthy was called for holding.

Fantastic defending by McCarthy prevented Capoue getting in his pass, and Capoue appeared to twist his knee as he evaded McCarthy's tackle. Mirallas then replaced Deulofeu, who had not managed to create anything magical.

Stones did well to get across Ighalo when it looked like a chance was on for Watford, but the quality of football from both sides was at best limited, as they continued to cancel each other out.

A great cross in from Mirallas went begging, then another was too close to Gomes. McCarty's cross was then overhit. Mirallas went for a little run and drew a foul right on the corner of the Watford area. Baines seemed set to take it but Mirallas stroked it over the wall and Gomes parried it, to Lukaku who should have scored but managed only to sidefoot his shot onto the top of the bar, a dreadful miss.

Then a seemingly perfect cross for Lukaku took him by surprise as he failed to head it properly with the goal gaping, Jagileka then went off in the final minute, with a possible hamstring injury, Funes Mori coming on for him.

A fierce shot from Watson, deflected, was saved superbly by Robles. A foul by Ighalo led to a booking and a very deep free-kick to the back post from Baines thaT Barry could only head to Gomes. At the other end, Ighallo threatened again but Robles saved well.

Share this article

About these ads

© ToffeeWeb