Chelsea 3-3 Everton

After an even first half, two goals came thanks to brilliant crosses from Leighton Baines, the first converted inadvertently by Terry, the second a superb volley on the turn from Mirallas. But a dreadful mix-up between Howard and Jagielka let Chelsea back in, and they were soon level off a deflection. After resisting further onslaught, Funes Mori put Everton back into the lead in the 91st minute, only for Terry to steal a draw in the 8th minute of added time.

Kevin Mirallas got a rare start at Stamford Bridge for today's game against Chelsea, along with Bryan Oviedo, with Deulofeu and Funes Mori on the bench.

The game started in fairly pedestrian form, with Chelsea kicking off and making most of the early play until Everton put together a decent passing move to bring in Mirallas down the left but Barkley's shot was blocked.

Mirallas forced Everton's first corner, which Baines swung in well but neither Stones nor Lukaku could convert it. Fabregas got a knee in the back from Bryan Oviedo. Howard gathered a strong high cross. Barkley was fouled by Costa but the free-kick was wasted. Lennon then collided with Mikel, Everton perhaps showing a willingness to mix it a little?

Baines was fouled but nothing given by the ref and Chelsea surged into attack, Willian lashing a shot on goal that Howard was well placed to bat away for a corner that he then gathered. At the other end, a nice ball dinked forward to Mirallas saw him finish but he was offside.

A great move should have produced more but Barkley was again blocked and Oviedo's first-time strike skewed wide of the post. Fabregas decided to press Stones in defence, forcing him to play the ball around. Lukaku got a sniff of a shot but scuffed it very poorly when a clean contact was the minimum requirement.

Costa was very strong, driving in along the byeline until Baines stepped across him, drawing the foul. Lukaku again got another sight of goal but was far too weak in allowing Zouma to command the ball.

Everton needed to be strong in defence, Jagielka getting his head to a dangerous cross, denying Costa, who was making threatening runs that were thankfully offside. Barkley had a marvellous chance to create something but his ball to Mirallas was hopelessly poor. Barkley and Lukaku then passed to eachother on the edge of the Chelsea area and contrived to lose the opportunity.

Barkley got free but had no support; however, strong play from Mirallas won another corner that Baines again delivered well. Some excellent control by Barkley saw a great ball that surprised Mirallas and ran out for a goal-kick. Everton had acquitted themselves well enough, containing the Chelsea threat, but were not completing promising moves with anything approaching a strike on goal.

Stones again was tempted to run the ball forward but ran into a cul-de-sac. Then he was required to play a free-kick upfield but the result was horrible, and it led to a Chelsea corner that fortunately curled out. Mirallas ran across the top of the Chelsea area and put in a great shot that forced a superb save from Courtois.

Everton were getting space and time to bring the ball forward and were putting together some great play in midfield but the crucial pass to create a chance seemed repeatedly lacking at the business end of the field. At the back, they had been solid, and there seemed no reason why improved defence should translate into a lack of inventiveness and belief going forward with the ball into the Chelsea area in the first half.

Despite kicking off the second half, it was a lively restart from Chelsea as Everton possession was squandered cheaply. Mirallas got forward but was driven wide and his shot was ineffective. Jagielka tried the long ball and Lukaku beat Terry to it but could not direct it to a white shirt.

A great move involving Lukaku and Barkley ended with a fantastic cross by Baines that Terry could only deliver into his own net, much to the delight of the traveling fans, as Everton took the lead after 50 minutes.

Another tremendous piece of play, robbing Chelsea in midfield, saw Mirallas pass out to Barkley who smashed a tremendous shot past Courtois but onto the face of the near post... deserved a goal but it was not to be. Oscar replaced Matic.

Another wonderful move from Everton, started by a drive from Barkley into a wall of four players, out to Lennon, who drove around, passed to Baines and a brilliant cross to pick out Mirallas who fired home in superb style.

Chelsea were not going to lie down, and some determined play forced a great one-handed save by Howard and a splendid block by Jagielka. This led to dangerous corners that were defended as Everton rode the anger and frustration of the home side and their crowd. More strong defending required, and Everton seemed to have weathered the storm until Fabregas bamboozled Jagielka and Howard into an awful muddle and he walked the ball into the net behind them.

Moments later, the home side were level, this time, a Fabregas shot took a big deflection beating Howard and the tremendous advantage had been squandered in a few crazy minutes. Oviedo defended a shot, taking the full force of on his lower leg, and it was a depressing sight to see the lad stretchered off, Funes Mori returning to the Everton defence with 10 stitches in a head wound from last weekend, as Stones moved out to right-back.

Everton were struggling to resist the onslaught, and could not play the ball out of their own half. Chelsea were pressing high, and creating another fearsome chance, Azpilicueta who failed to convert from 5 yards. A great ball up to Mirallas should have produced Everton's third but this time, with more space, Mirallas allowed Courtois to close down the angle and kick the ball away.

Costa went down and eventually hobbled off. Baines had to block a fearsome strike from Willian with his body. Martinez made a double change: Deulofeu and Pienaar replacing Mirallas and Lennon, so essentially like for like... except that after some confusion, it was in fact Barkley and not Mirallas who went off.

Everton were under the cosh at times, and were unable to get Deulofeu into the game, each foray forward when they did usually ending in a cheap turnover, and Funes Mori did well to dribble away from Remy. Crosses were finally swung in from Stones (right) and Baines (left) but were simply not good enough.

Deulofeu whipped in a fantastic ball for Lukaku but it was too clever for the big man to control but it did win a corner and there on the far post was Funes Mori in front of Lukaku to finish acrobatically in the 91st minute, his great celebration earning him a yellow card as the Evertonians went completely mad.

But SEVEN minutes of added time... Chelsea threatened from a corner and kept pushing Everton back as they sought another 3-3 draw, Willian firing a deflected shot inches wide. Everton tried to play out the final minutes but gave up possession once again, and were forced to defend desperately as the seconds ticked away, Stones lashing the ball away. But it came back and, with now 8 minutes of added time played, Terry was allowed to bundle the ball past Howard with his heel from a blatantly offside position.

A shocking end to the game, but nothing more than we have come to expect with Everton and poor officiating from Premier League referees.

Share this article

About these ads

© ToffeeWeb